Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just bought my first egg

Options
Newbie Posts: 33
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just purchased a large egg and a 61" cypress table to hold it. I am concerned about putting this much weight on my deck out back. Does anyone have the same setup and if so, is it a bad idea to put it on an outdoor deck or should I stick with the patio below? Also, wondering if anyone has a similar table and what varnish/waterproofer you used on it? Thanks much!

Comments

• Newbie,
    I have same setup, don't know if I did the right thing but I used Thompsons waterseal with the chestnut stain already in it. Brushed 3 coats on it. I covered the top with green ceramic tiles on top ( 6 of 'em ) and the bottom I put 4. Under the egg I placed a sheet of stainless steel to protect the wood from heat and ashes falling on it.Added hooks to hold tools and a cup holder to hold my mapp torch.
    If you want a pic I can e-mail it to you

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Newbie,[p]If your desk is solid. I think there's no peoblem with it out there. Egg with table probabli is in the 175-225 pound range. I have some friends puching 250 and I let them on the deck! They sure do love when I'm cooking! As for the table, can't offer any assistance![p]Smokey
  • tn slagamater
    Options
    Newbie, the cypress table will not look too good in a year if left unprotected. The weather will do a lot plus you will find you spend an unbelievable amount of time cooking and messing it up. I would try to protect it with stains, sealers, and /or a cover.Just my .02

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,896
    Options
    Newbie,
    though I made my own table to hold my small and large BGEs I used the brown - not the green - treated wood and then refinished the whole completed project to cover the cut ends. The key though is more to having a good cover from UV rays whether it be natural shade in the summer or a special but cheap tarp in the winter months. Rain doesn't hurt Mr Egg, but the table is another matter!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Newbie,
    I was a bit concerned with putting my *first* large egg on our upstairs deck, but it's proximity to the kitchen convinced me to go ahead. Not only is it doing just fine there, but I've added a SECOND large right next to it![p]As mentioned earlier, I have people coming over that weigh more than the egg, and they tend to move around more! <grin>[p]Only you can know for sure about your own deck, but I suspect that if it holds people ok, it'll hold eggs ok...[p]bc

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Newbie,
    General opinion is that the egg/table will weigh less than most adults, so you're fine that way.
    You will want something in front of the bottom vent to catch any stray "shooters" coming out and landing on the wood. I usually just put a small piece of foil there. Also, be sure to put some type of brick or stepping stone between the bottom of the egg and the table. The little feet that come with the egg will do fine. You just don't want the bottom of the egg in direct contact with the wood.
    Enjoy!

• Newbie,
    email me if you want pics, i tried sending but postmaster says no such address.

• tn slagamater,
    the only thing that will bother cyprus are those dang
    wood borer bees that drill into anything.

• Wil,
    I just bought an egg and built a table similar to yours... I would love to see the finishing touches you added to yours... Thanks, Greg