Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Introducing myself from the North

Options
Ms.
Ms. Posts: 145
edited November -1 in Off Topic
Hi guys (and gals, but I know you are fewer),

First, excuse my accent: I'm naturally French speaking, coming from northern USA, that is Canada, but worse still: Québec, the last major French speaking community in North America. And you'll soon discover that accents are heareable and... readable!

I just thought this forum would be the best place to introduce myself. I'm actually a wannabe Egghead. I want one. I want one. I want one. But hubby is stuck on his old BroilMate, ans says it is sufficient for our needs.

However, I have started from standard brochettes to pizza, and I'm not talking pizza on a pizza rock, but real pizza directly on the grill. I cook my eggplants right on it, as well as my pineapples, my bananas... when I started telling him I must now turn off the gas on the oven, he realised I'm getting serious.

And serious means considering buying a Big Green Egg, thus my presence here. I will have tons of questions for you guys (and gals) here, because this purchase will only come next year: budget wise, and season wise. Living here means temparatures below 32 F in winter, as low as - 40 F, with tons of snow.

Understand my challenge: in order to convince hubby to buy a pricey piece of outdoor kitchen apparel, I must first convince him of the possibility of using it all year round, and convince him of the necessity of shoveling my path to the thing through the snow. :laugh:

Anyway, if you've gone throug this, you'll notice 1) my typically froggy-like propension for long posts, and 2) that I need help from you to convince hubby to buy my Egg!

It's great to have found you guys (and gals) ;)

Edit: spelling - I'm using a mini, so... forgive my French!
Edit 2: same (I'll learn to read myself thoroughly - English doesn't come easy...)

Comments

• Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    I understood every word. Welcome. There are several others here that cook year round an that drasticly cold weather. Me, I am a wimp when it comes to the cold thats why I live in Florida. :laugh: The others will chime in and hopefully show you some pictures of Egging in the snow. :)
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options
    Hi Ms.

That's a great introduction, Welcome to the forum!

Many more people will read your intro if you put it on the EggHead forum page. This is the Off Topic forum page and new members are definitely not off topic. If you copy your intro to the other page (EggHead Forum under Forums at the top of this page) more people can meet & greet you.

Gator
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Welcome to the forum. In my not so humble opinion your post should be put on the main forum, not over here. I hope you will take the time to re-post. You will get a lot more help.

I like your accent, sounds wonderful to me.

The egg works fine win the cold. I cook at -20° F. Mid winter I am cooking in snow at times up to my waist.

Here is a spring storm.
    bge_s_m_snow.jpg

bge_lge_snow.jpg

GG
  • Seattle Todd
    Seattle Todd Posts: 227
    Options
    Agree with Gator Bait that you should post on the main forum as well.

There are a few Canadian and Alaskan Eggers that cook in extreme temperatures. Also some prominent female grillers and smokers, especially in the last year.

Your best bet to convince your hubby is to see if there's a local dealer who does demo days or post on the main forum and see if there's an egger that's somewhat local that would like to cook you guys some grub and show you around the egg before you purchase one. Or simply point out that no other cooker can smoke or grill as well in those extreme temperatures without a lot more work.

Oh and, Vous parlez l'Anglaise tres bien. See your English isn't as bad as my Francaise. :lol:

P.S. not all the Yanks hate the French or French-Candians. My favorite food in the world is foie gras. And a very prominent member of the forum, Ray Lampe a.k.a. Dr. BBQ has French ancestry and even has a Bastille Day menu in one of his cookbooks. If you DO get an egg I'd advise you pick up all of Ray's cookbooks. Very, very good stuff in them.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    hi, and welcome.

there's no issue using the egg in the cold. at all.

here's a pic for you. yeah, the snow melted soon after, but the point is, there's very little heat loos from the egg.

brrrr_HOT.jpg

what concerns me is your husband's thinking that his regular grill is "sufficient". he didn't marry you because you were "sufficient", he married you because he was in love with you.

ask him if he is in love with his current grill.

i guarantee he'll fall in love with the food off the egg.

eggsinsnow.jpg

don't wait. life is too short, and they'll probably cost more next year anyway
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Seattle Todd
    Seattle Todd Posts: 227
    Options
    Lotta people marry because they think the other person is 'good enough'. ;)

I'm guessing Ms.'s hubbie feels the same about the grill although not her. Sounds like she's got the grillin' bug in the family right now.

Great question to ask, I'll grant you, and she should. But if he's not much of a griller/smoker himself it might seem to him like a lot more money just for better food.
  • Ms.
    Ms. Posts: 145
    Options
    Thank you! This is an amazing welcome, even for an Off Topic post! ;)

I love your pictures of snowed-in eggs... that should help convince hubby!

We can continue the conversation in the new post, here:
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=695912&catid=1