Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ping: Fidel - Cigar Question

Options
Seattle Todd
Seattle Todd Posts: 227
edited November -1 in Off Topic
Hey been meaning to ask you this for a while. I know you are a cigar aficionado

I have a humidor of some pretty sticks that are dried out. I remember doing some quick research some years ago and it sounds like there are ways to semi-recover them although they won't be as good a smoke as they originally were.

Do you have experience with this or a suggested method? All I recall is that you don't want to re-humidfy them too quickly or the wrappers can/will crack.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    you are correct. Slowly bring them back to life in a humidor. it will take several months. If you have a way to keep your humidity in the 55-60% range that will help prevent splitting the wrappers. Then after a month or so bump them to 70% and let them go until they are soft and ready for you.

Tonight, I am enjoying a Partagas 150 'B' with a stunningly complex Laphroaig single malt.
  • Seattle Todd
    Options
    They are 25 Opus X cigars of various sizes. Really would rather smoke a Swisher Sweet than part with them. :laugh: Thanks for the tips! In my second humidor, also dry long story, I just remembered I have some nice Cubano Cohibas as well. Probably 15 years old now but of course the drying didn't equal any aging.

Liked the Partagas 150's a lot! Smoked several back when they were first out and for a few years. I'm just a Fuente guy by taste. Also love the Laugh-froig. Tastes like medicine but in a good way. ;)

My perfect cigar retreat is any Opus X with a side of Booker Noe's single barrel straight-cut bourbon, on the rocks, with just enough melting of the ice to cut the strength a bit.

Thanks for the tip. Gotta get the hummie's back up and running!
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I am normally a Fuente fan, but lean toward the Anejos. They are the Opus filler and binder but use the wrapper from the Ashton VSG line. Best cigar money can buy.

I also enjoy the Padron line. My favorite Cubans are Bolivars.
  • Seattle Todd
    Options
    Yeah like the Padron and have a few Anniversario 64's as well. Good stuff.

Gotta try the Bolivars next time I'm able. Thanks for the tip!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    this might sound funny, but if you take that humidor and put it in the fridge, lay a baggy over the cigars, and put some lettuce on top, changing it every few days, it will slowly add moisture. works for other things that come in baggies if i remember my college days well enough :whistle:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    I have been in college for 35 years! :woohoo: " That's a joke, son, ya gotta pay attention!" - Foghorn Leghorn.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    or, you could just smoke the things. i happen to like a cigar that feels and tastes like a length of rope, or maybe even like smoking a wooden dowel.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    I enjoy the ones that explode after a few puffs. Saves me from having to smoke the whole thing.