Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The story of a Gregg and an Egg

Gregg The Egg
Gregg The Egg Posts: 68
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Day 1
My wife and I just got a large BGE and its' metal nest last night. Here's the experience.

5:50 PM Walked into BBQ'S Pits-N-Spits in Appleton, WI to checkout the BGE. It was 10 minutes to their 6 PM closing. We were met by Rex who asked if he could help us with anything. When we told him we were interested in the Big Green Egg, he lit up like a candle. He started extolling its virtues as he has seen them in action on his own egg, not canned from a manual or typical sales pitch talk. We were impressed to say the least.

7:00 PM Finalized purchase of our very own BGE, loaded it into our vehichle and were on our way home. Rex wouldn't let us go without making sure that we had the necessary knowledge to make our 1st experience a great one. Now I would call it Eggsellent. :)

7:30 PM Got home and tools are ready. Begin building base.

8:00 PM base is built and very stable. Begin assembling BGE in its nest.

8:40 PM Had a few oopses...like putting the handle on upside down and having to take it off and put it back on, but the BGE went together with no real problems, and the quality DEFINITELY shows! :)

8:45 PM Wheeled BGE out onto patio for its debute. Put in hardwood charcoal up to bottom of fire ring as instructed and lit with my propane torch. Took about 15 minutes to light and come up to heat ~ 600 degrees fahrenheit. Here I thought I was going to miss my gas grill. Nope, I don't! :)

9:00 PM Wife lovingly seasoned steaks and I put them on the grill per instructions in cookbook that comes with Egg (2-3 mins per side and then 3 mins with all venting closed).

9:15 PM After much drooling, steaks have had enough time to rest and we ate. Oh my gosh, that is the BEST that those steaks have ever tasted. I think I might be a total BGE convert.

10:00 PM Still researching BGE recipes, hints, tips, tricks, and accessories. Pretty sure I'm a BGE convert.

11:00 PM almost fall out of chair because I'm so tired. Still daydream researching BGE accessories. Am sure that I'm now a total BGE convert, so I go to bed.

That is the beginning of my story of conversion from regular grilling to my new way of BGE food creation! :)

Day 2
Today my lovely wife and I had company over. While I've never done more than thin steaks on a grill, after last night, I decided what the heck. I made Chicken and as a last minute surprise, they came with Corn on the Cob. Not to worry, the Egghead Forum came to my rescue with a how to in the Recipes section. After filling up the egg with the Chicken breasts, and staring at the corn that still needed to be cooked as well, I felt that tingle of understanding as to why people buy 2 eggs. :)

Long story short, the chicken was tender, juicy, and delicious. 7 people at 9 large breasts...usually we're not all big eaters, just me. It was excellent, although I think we'll be using more seasoning and a more flavorful rub and basting juice next time. The corn on the cob was hoovered as well, with family and friends asking if it was "cool enough to eat" yet. Luckily, everyone was patient enough and no mouths were burned in the making of Eggcellently delicious meal! :whistle: Next time, I'll have to try and make even more tempting food so that I have to fight them off in order to give it time to cool down. :evil:

Well, I've replied to everyone who's commented here. Thank you again for all of your comments, encouragement, and information. So now, being 11 PM...again, it is time to go to bed for me. I'll be updating this story as it goes along and adding pictures as well. Please feel free to comment, question, inform, or playfully cajole! :)

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Welcome to the egg world, if you got a DVD with it...watch it, it will answer many questions..you may gain some knowledge from my website below..but you definately will learn a lot on the Naked Whiz's website...Relax and enjoy it..food will never be the same again...
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    That Dealer certainly went the extra mile. But, then again, it's easy to do with a product you know and believe in. That's what makes a good Dealer invaluable.

Good to have you aboard. Sounds like a great first cook.

LR
  • Thank you Wess! :woohoo:

I haven't had a chance to look at the DVD yet, but I will definitely have some time tomorrow night. I'm so sure of my new skills that I have the family coming up tonight and I'm making chicken. No oven necessary! B)

I will definitely be checking out your site and the Naked Whiz as well!

Thanks again! :)
  • Davidg5700
    Davidg5700 Posts: 32
    Welcome to the world of the BGE :cheer:

When you put in "Gregg" in the subject, I had thought that you had named yours as my daughter had done when we got ours. We have to capitalize the E, though, as in "GrEgg".

Many more great meals will be coming your way :woohoo:
  • Hi Lawn Ranger,

Thank you for the warm welcome. The dealer was awesome and you could see he was truly excited. He even made sure to load the BGE in my vehicle so it would be easy to take out of the box piece by piece right from the vehicle. The first cook was incredible, and I couldn't agree more that my world of food will never be the same.

Thanks again! :)
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Welcome aboard :whistle: hope you have many excellent cooks.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Well it looks like you have been hooked :) this site is the next best part of your egg. you will find friends, advice and links to many events, products and anything and everything to do with the egg. search up in the search box for Grampas grub. he has a list of tips and links that you will about wear out :) and just spend time reading on here :) Julie
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Glad to hear that you had a great first experience Gregg,you will stay up nights and forego sleep in the name of your Egg.Welcome and have fun.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • MtnBlue
    MtnBlue Posts: 109
    Gregg The Egg wrote:
    ,,,,, He even made sure to load the BGE in my vehicle so it would be easy to take out of the box piece by piece right from the vehicle. ....
    Thanks for posting that detail. I'm getting ready to buy my first Egg and I was wondering how on earth I would be able to move it from my vehicle to the back patio. It might be do-able piece by piece. I'm looking forward to my introductory class next week at the BGE headquarters to be followed soon after by my Egg purchase.
  • JB
    JB Posts: 510
    Welcome, my story was very similar to yours with the late pickup and late dinner, although I got mine already assembled. I've had my large about 6-7 weeks now and will likely never own another grill (unless it's an additional Egg). I've cooked on grills for 25+ years but have learned a ton on this forum. A wealth of knowledge and experience here, and always a quick response(s). Enjoy!
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    Ordered your 2nd egg yet?
    Might as well we all do sooner or later.
    E
  • Hi Davidg,

Thank you for the welcome! :)

Nope, Gregg is actually my name. We'll probably call our BGE Steve. It's the name given to the (Big Green) hedge in the movie Over The Hedge.

Thank you for the well wishes...I can't wait to get back to using the egg. My wife and I went home today for lunch to visit our BGE...oh yeah, we ate some lunch too. :)
  • Thank you Captain Cook! :)
  • You are most welcome. I am happy that it helped. The only really heavy piece is the bottom. I hope that your Eggsperience is as good as mine! Good luck! :)
  • Hi Julie,

Thank you for the great welcome, and THANK YOU for the tips. I will be searching this evening! :)
  • Hi Dale,

Thank you for the warm welcome and the great advice...as usual, all this advice comes after the fact. :silly:

You know like after you buy your first house then people tell you that you'll never have any extra money again because you'll spend it all on your house. :laugh:

Yes, I look forward to at least a few long nights with the egg! :)
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Looks like you are "hooked" on this Cult! Welcome!

Here is the link to the newbie tips compiled by Grandpas Grub:

GG's Tips

Warning: Chicken is a little tougher to master than the steak you did last night. You might want to do some searches on chicken techniques before you dive in.
    Some do them indirect and some do them direct.
  • Thank you for the awesome welcome rm. It's good to hear that I'm on the right path! :)

I'll definitely be delving down deep into these forums and learning all about my BGE! :woohoo:
  • emilluca wrote:
    Ordered your 2nd egg yet?
    Might as well we all do sooner or later.
    E

Thank you for the post. The answer is a definite "not yet", but I have a pretty good idea that once I get good with this one, I'll have to get either another large or a medium. :)
  • Misippi Egger wrote:
    Looks like you are "hooked" on this Cult! Welcome!

Here is the link to the newbie tips compiled by Grandpas Grub:

GG's Tips

Warning: Chicken is a little tougher to master than the steak you did last night. You might want to do some searches on chicken techniques before you dive in.
    Some do them indirect and some do them direct.

Oh, I'm definitely "hooked" on this cult, and I'm really liking all of the other followers too! :) Thank you very much for the link to Grandpas Grub. I actually think that is who I got the recipe from for the chicken breasts for novices. :)
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    gregg welcome to the forum wich is the eggheads form of CRACK.. this is where i go to get my fix... i usually get most of my ideas from things i learn here from other nice people across the country.. you have a mild case right now just wait till you get to go throught the conversation with the wife that starts like this:: "honey i think we need another egg" yea that is always a fun one...

you might want to try getting to the mecca for all eggheads:: Atlanta Georgia 3rd Saturday in october well worth a plane ticket although you might want to get started with that conversation tonight because registeration starts on monday ;)

once again welcome to the forum hope to see you often and congrats on your FIRST egg ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    I like your approach Greg. That is probably 3 hours you'll never forget. Way to hit the ground running.

Hint:Keep a camera near by, cause everyone loves pictures.

Sounds like you got a good gasket too ;)
  • BENTE wrote:
    gregg welcome to the forum wich is the eggheads form of CRACK.. this is where i go to get my fix... i usually get most of my ideas from things i learn here from other nice people across the country.. you have a mild case right now just wait till you get to go throught the conversation with the wife that starts like this:: "honey i think we need another egg" yea that is always a fun one...

you might want to try getting to the mecca for all eggheads:: Atlanta Georgia 3rd Saturday in october well worth a plane ticket although you might want to get started with that conversation tonight because registeration starts on monday ;)

once again welcome to the forum hope to see you often and congrats on your FIRST egg ;)

Hi Bente,

Thank you for the welcome and information. Oh, I'm very familiar with addiction...I own a crack, err, I mean a Blackberry as well. :)

Oh, I have an in with the boss, she's almost as excited about the BGE as I am. She's my partner in crime on this. :) She's already started talking about Eggtober Fest! :) I'm hoping she reads this and starts pricing out tickets.

I've already found so much on hear and Naked Whiz that I'm almost full on knowledge for the day...but I'm going to keep cramming in the info and loving every minute of it! :)

Ooh, I actually do miss my BGE a little less while talking on here. Oh my gosh, you are 100% right, it is our drug of choice while we can't do the real BGE! :)

Thanks again for the post! :)
  • Ripnem wrote:
    I like your approach Greg. That is probably 3 hours you'll never forget. Way to hit the ground running.

Hint:Keep a camera near by, cause everyone loves pictures.

Sounds like you got a good gasket too ;)

Hi Adam,

Thank you very much for the great compliments! :)

You are oh so right, I will NEVER forget that 3 hours and all the excitement. My BGE experience ranks right up their with when I was a kid and the training wheels came off my bike for the first time. Only this time, I didn't crash into the road and everything went super smooth! :)

Dang, I knew I was forgetting something. I should have taken a boatload of pictures...Like here's the little tiny box that your good sized metal nest comes in. :)

Yes, the gasket still looks great and I'm looking forward to the checking of the top and bottom band tension on the opening mechanism tonight before I use it again. This is just so much fun! :)

Thanks again for the post! :)
  • dukedog
    dukedog Posts: 39
    Congratulations Gregg! I bought mine from Rex at BBQ Pits and Spits as well last summer. It's a great store and Rex is fantastic and has been great support in the year that I've owned mine. Enjoy!
  • dukedog wrote:
    Congratulations Gregg! I bought mine from Rex at BBQ Pits and Spits as well last summer. It's a great store and Rex is fantastic and has been great support in the year that I've owned mine. Enjoy!

Hi dukedog,

Hey, you're not going to believe this. BGE watches these forums and notified Rex about my posting and all the great responses from BGE owners. Rex called me just a minute ago and told me about your post! :)

Way to go BGE and fellow BGE owners! :woohoo:

Thank you for the congratulations, and same to you...although mine's a bit late. :) It sounds like we both had the same great experience with Rex. Hope to see you in the store or in person some day and we can swap BGE stories! Although mine are a bit limited right now. :)

Thank you again for the post! :)
  • Ripnem
    And think about it....you've just begun :laugh: Believe it or not, you will get deeper and deeper....Next thing ya know your walking around with "I'm an Egghead" shirt on, and going to sleep and waking to thoughts about what your going to cook next.

Welcome and try and understand that your entering a Cult. :ermm: :huh: :woohoo:

Remember.....Pictures
  • Ripnem
    Good stuff...Cheers to BGE and you for jumping in with both feet. Kudos to Rex for knowing his chit and giving you the info you needed to go home and tear it up.

What's gettin the heat tonight?

Life is good on the Egg. :)

"Egg Strong and Live Long"
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Welcome to Eggdome and the cult. Should you attend the Eggtoberfest, you will be taught the secret hand shake. :woohoo: :woohoo: You need to post pics of your cooks good and bad. Again welcome aboard! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Thank-you to Jodi from Big Green Egg for letting me know about the "Story". It made my day! I love telling customers that their passion level for cooking will go sky high, then watch it happen. Awesome product to own and sell, and a forum that is out of this world amazing.
    Thanks for the kind words from everyone. Gregg, yesterday you just made yourself a better cook.

Rex