Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Focaccia recipe follow-up

Options
gdenby
gdenby Posts: 6,239
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I posted earlier today about some success I had with sourdough focaccia. BENTE asked for the recipe, and so this is the follow-up. I found the basic recipe on the web, but failed to mark the origin, So, at least half this recipe/method is not mine, and I offer credit to whoever the original writer was. I tend to over-knead dough, so this oily dough is more workable for me. Its wet and slippery, and tends not to become glue while being worked.

Also, this is not cooked at quite as high a temperature as pizza, so you don't have to watch the time quite as closely.

Combine the following ingredients:

1-1/2 C sourdough starter
1 C warm water
3 oz. olive oil
1 Tbl honey
1 C all-purpose flour

Add the water, warmed to 100 F to honey. Stir, then add flour. Stir, then add starter and oil. Stir, and let sit covered about an hour, till nice and bubbly.

Then, mix in

1/3 C olive oil
4 C all-purpose flour
2 tsp fine sea salt

Mix in flour 1 cup at a time. Stir until well combined. The stirring will partially knead the dough. Move mass to another lightly oiled bowl. Every 15 minutes, lift, and stretch and fold dough, 3 - 4 times. My starter is not the most fast acting, so it takes about 2 hours before moving to the next stage.

I use this amount of dough to fill one 9" x 13" pan, and one 9" round.

Oil the pans. Divide the dough, and spread out into the pans. If it resists spreading, give it a few minutes to relax. Cover, and rest at least an hour.

Pre-heat Egg to 450. I've set this up with platesetter inverted, grate on platesetter legs. Temperatures down to 375 work, but adjust times accordingly.

After about an hour, the dough in the pans should have risen to about double. Not quite double works O.K. Press holes into the dough with a finger, every 2 inches. Brush all over with olive oil so that the holes hold small pools of oil.

Choose your topping. At minimum, I use 1/2 Tbl of sea salt, some fresh rosemary, and several ounces of grated Parmesan. But the dough will support a lot, so more cheese, sliced meat, onions, garlic, etc are possible.

Bake for about 20 minutes till browned on top. Let cool for 15 minutes.

Enjoy!

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    thanks for sharing that looked so good!. I have book marked this to try later :)
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    thanks i wil give it a try sometime here in the near future ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb