Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

More Tenderloin Questions

TXTriker
TXTriker Posts: 1,177
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Guys and gals, so as not to hi jack that young ladies message, if a beef tenderloin is flavorless, what about a pork tenderloin? Same thing or does pork have more and better flavor?

I haven't done one of those in years.

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    it's not "flavorless" really. beef tenderloin can be flavorful. i had a grass fed one that was wonderful. lean though. not a "beefy" flavor like rib eye.

cooked to a good not-overdry internal temp, i twill have flavor, sure. but you buy tenderloin because it is tender. strips are firmer (i hesitate to say "tough" because they can be cooked without becoming tough). you give up flavor for tenderness with a tenderloin. but it's not truly devoid of flavor
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Beef tenderloin is NOT flavorless...I am not sure where you got that idea. It is one of the best cuts there is and is full of flavor...and yes pork tenderloin is the best cut off of a pig...also very flavorful...neither cut is fatty but very lean and both are great to cook on the BGE
  • TXTriker
    I misspoke. I think the phrase was less "flavorful" then other cuts. That was why I asked about the pork tenderloin. The discussion is down further.

And thanks for the comeback.
  • you didn't really misspeak. ...i poopood the beef tenderloin as lacking in flavor, particularly at the price you pay for it. .. you want great beefy flavor, go buy hanger steaks, flank steaks, skirt steaks, tri-tips, flat-irons, then learn how to cook them so you don't have to chew them till your teeth fall out and you will enjoy beef in ways you never thought possible. ...i almost never buy the traditional steaks (ribeyes/strips/tenderloins) anymore, because i don't have to in order to enjoy great beef taste and still have tender steaks . . .its a matter of knowing how to prep them properly, cook them properly, and slice them properly... .

we were having a little mini-fest a couple of years ago and one of the guys grilled up a very expense, dry aged prime tenderloin (probably cost in the neighborhood of $25 bucks a pound)...i grilled up (on the same bge), a $6.99 a pound hanger steak. ...we sliced em up and compared them around the group. ...there was just no comparison when it came to flavor. . .
  • TXTriker
    So you recommend the TRex method Max? Hot and fast for the tenderloins? What about the pork tenderloins?

When you do that flank steak, low and slow, let us know. I have one in the refrig but I'm not sure how my wife will let me do it. Do you recall the flank steak temp and time? Or any particulars?
  • i would always t-rex a tenderloin, even a whole one. ...got too much invested to try it any other way (i'll let stike invite me over for the lo and slo, he's loaded, LOL) . . ..

as for the flank steak, i have no idea how long i'd lo and slo one, but if i did, i'd do it like a tiny brisket 225 indirect till it 'felt' right ...

otherwise, i normally do flank steaks in the 500 degree range direct just a few minutes per side, usually marinated, but sometimes, i do em 'french' style, just a brushing of olive oil, salt and pepper, then on to a hot cast iron skillet for a few minutes per side. . .
  • Essex County
    Essex County Posts: 991
    Gotta agree with 'hot and fast' for flank. There's almost no fat. I don't think a low and slow would be that great. Flank is the only cut I've done Caveman style. Just throw it on the coals. The Whiz gave me the idea. It works well. The coals just shake off. Great way to make fajitas.
    Paul