Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

TURKEY TECHNIQUE -- Just to double check

Options
Toronto James
Toronto James Posts: 26
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm doing the Thanksgiving turkey this weekend (Canadain Thanksgiving of course!) and just want to double check on technique.[p]I'll brine and prep the bird as usual.[p]Then build a good fire (clean the ash, new lump etc.) and -- here is where I need confirmation -- I plan to put my platesetter legs up ??? then a drip pan on the platesetter and the bird on a V rack over the pan. Do I need the V rack or can I use the grill or some other rack to keep my friend out of the pan drippings?[p]I'm planning a pretty big bird -- maybe 20 lb -- will it fit in my Large EGG?[p]From there I'll do the usual time and temp and basting.[p]Can someone please confirm technique and, as always, any and akll advice is very welcome.[p]Thanks!

Comments

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    P1010005.JPG
    <p />toronto james,[p]A v rack is good to hold the bird. Don't know much about the Canadian ones, but here in the states, they don't sit on the grills well. You coud butterfly it and lay it flat. Pictured is a breast I did over the weekend. Turned out great!
  • CR
    CR Posts: 175
    Options
    toronto james, 20 lb. turkey should fit fine if you have a Large BGE. I use the same set-up you described and also use a V-Rack. The rack helps to hold the bird in place and makes it much easier to remove from the BGE when it is done cooking.[p]Remember to be careful that your dome thermometer is not sticking into the turkey when you close the dome. [p]Also, poultry soaks up smoke like a sponge. I personally do not use any additional chips of chunks for smoke flavor; I find that the smoke flavor supplied by just the lump is enough.
  • nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    toronto james,
    When we do turkey, we do not use a plate setter. Just a drip pan with a grill over it. We have no problems with the turkey sitting on the grill. I think v-racks are just one extra thing to wash. I have only used mine one time, and it was a pain.[p]~nikki

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    toronto james,
    What about Spatching that big guy? Just another thought to ponder. It worked very well for me last Christmas, but I the bird was about 15 lbs.
    Cheers,
    G.

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    toronto james,
    whatever else you do, if you're doing the whole bird and 'roasting' it (as opposed to smoking it real lo and slo), i've found one tried and true method for insuring that the breast doesn't get done before the thighs/legs. .. [p]when everything else is ready and bird is prepped, but 20 minutes prior to putting it in the egg/oven/whatever, take a large freezer bag full of ice cubes and lay it across the breasts for 20 minutes. . .. this will lower the breast temps by about 20 degrees lower than the adjoining thigh and leg meat. this way, when you put the bird into cook, it will take the breast meat a while to catch up to the legs cooking and they will both be done at the same time, resulting in moist breast meat when the thighs are done. . .[p]i had tried just about everything else ever written on the subject (from bags to towels draped over the breast, to starting the turkey breast side down and turning it, etc.), but the simple bag of ice has proven to be an absolute winner for about the last 7 years now (i've done the t-giving turkey for about 25 years now). . .. [p]good luck . .

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    toronto james,
    Do ours on a vert. roaster. 20lb bird just makes it!
    Haven't used a plate setter just a drip pan with foil. Neither do we brine the bird. Stays plenty moist, in fact when you start to carvemake sure you have a platter with some depth to it. Juices will be surprising and the juice will make the best gravy base you ever had.

• daddyg
    daddyg Posts: 13
    Options
    I am a newbie (and in the Toronto area!)[p]1. What is a "plate setter" and where does it go in the BGE?
    2. I have BGE vertical turkey roaster but haven't used it. Do I simply set this on the existing grate with a drip pan underneath it (also on the grate)?

• Ohio Boy in DC
    Options
    I used a Fosters Can with a drip pan on top of the grill gate ala Beer Can Chicken...turned out great