Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

High gluten wheat pizza dough.Any comment

Options
Darnoc
Darnoc Posts: 2,661
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Never tried one but I was thinking one third of your flour might be whole wheat.Has any one made a dough that you would recommend?

Comments

• Large Marge
    Large Marge Posts: 404
    Options
    I'm actually trying to find a good gluten-free dough. I hear they exist. Breadless pizza for us carb-counters is messy! :P
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I'm a novice with all things yeast&flour. However, one of the finest pizzarias in my vicinity (stop50woodfiredpizzeria(no connection but satisfaction)) has started offering whole wheat. It cost a buck more than the standard sour dough. I asked the main man "why the higher cost?" and he replied with what I suspected. "Harder to work with." So, it was a good pizza for rich flavored toppings, like mushrooms. However, lot harder to work.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I've read recipes using chickpea flour. The results seem more like a tortilla with toppings. but with a no flour base.
  • Darnoc
    Options
    That is what I have heard.The dough mix that I use is 1 1/2 cups high gluten flour and 1/2 cup of semolina flour.I do autolyse my dough and was thinking of using a third of a cup of each.No one seems to have made whole wheat pizza so later this week I will have to give it a go.Let you all know how it turns out with photos of course.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Whole wheat added in place of white flour is fine, but the high gluten isn't going to make a difference. The bran cuts the gluten chains. You'll notice that the dough just works differently. It will stretch, but will also tear more easily.

Also, you will need to adjust your liquid ingredients a little. Whole grain flours absorb more liquid, so add an extra tablespoon or so of liquid.
  • Large Marge
    Options
    basic whole wheat pizza dough (James McNair). I've made this many times:

1 tbs sugar or honey
    1 1/4 cups warm (110-115f) water
    1 envelope active dry yeast
    1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
    2 cups whole wheat flour
    1 tsp salt
    1/4 cup olive oil

Combine both flours in a bowl and set aside. Dissolve sugar/honey in the warm water, then add the yeast. Let sit for a few minutes to ensure the yeast activates. In a mixing bowl combine 3 cups of the flour combo, the salt, yeast mix, and oil-- I use a kitchen aid mixer for this, and process from here is pretty self explanatory - use flat beater 1 min or so to combine, if still sticky add remaining 1/4 cup of flour, then use dough hook for about 5 mins until a nice smooth elastic ball forms.
  • Darnoc
    Options
    Large Marge thank you for the recipe and I will give it a try.I am a pizza dough fanatic and always looking for something better.
  • Darnoc
    Options
    Thanks Rod. I do use instant yeast rather than active in my dough and will try what you suggested.One thing different than what most people do is to use beer instead of water.After watching Food Network today they say New York water makes a big difference in the pizza dough.So that means I have to use some beer out of New York city and see what happens.
  • Large Marge
    Options
    search for James McNair's "Pizza". Here is a link to used books on Amazon. He has several variations, the cornmeal crust is my favorite.

I have not tried this one, but Varasano's is a new NY Pizzeria in Atlanta. Jeff used to host pizza parties at his house and perfected authentic NY-style dough. This is an extremely complex process but I've had his pie at his restaurant and it's fantastic. Here is the link to the dough recipe. I just bought a new oven that has a "proofing" setting so I may try this and then make some NY pie on the BGE!

Best of luck!