Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Turkey BBQ

Options
PA Dutch Egger
PA Dutch Egger Posts: 128
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I want to cook a turkey so that I can pull the meat for making turkey BBQ. I have used the Mad Max method for two birds for holidays, but I am thinking I need to do the bird at a lower temp to be able to pull the meat. the bird is 17 lbs and I intend to brine it 24 hours before I cook it. Any suggestions on dome temp to cook it and internal breast temp to pull it? I know the internal temp is the criteria for pulling it, but any idea the length of time it will take at the lower temp?

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    :huh: :unsure:
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    Options
    My instinct and experience tells me the leg thigh is the best for pulled turkey. I would cut the bird up into pieces and cook separately. The breast will be done first and I would cook it only to 155 to 160 let cool slice it against the grain sauce and then when it is heated up it will heat to 170 and stay moist because of the sauce. The leg 1/4 I would take to 170 and pull when cool and sauce.