Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggfest Cooks FAQ/ And other questions

StoicDude
StoicDude Posts: 80
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey guys,
New guy here. I searched the forum but was unable to find the info i was looking for.
I plan on going to the Eggfest in Sacramento in October and am debating if I want to do some cooking there.
Can somebody provide me with the information that is standard for people that cook. For example:
-how much food (do you plan for 50, 100, etc),
-do you have to have your own tent set up or are all the eggs side by side,
-what happens if you run out of food
-do you cook at the same egg or do you wait for your turn
- is there a fridge space provided ( have a freezer box, but would like to know about this if I have to wait for a long time)
- Do you cook one meal or more

I assume that all the food is given out as samples, so no selling of food. I ask this because cooking for 100 people gets to be expensive, and being reimbursed for at least the food, or in part would be nice.

Just some questions that others probably have as well.

I am sure that the place that is hosting it can answer some, but I figured I would ask where people actually know a bit more about it.

Also, was anybody on here able to make a platesetter for the mini from firebricks?

Any disadvantage of making a platesetter out of metal? I have seen some people use various types of pans to shield from the direct heat.

Thank you.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Welcome to the "CULT"

Having only been to a couple of fests, Florida and Hotlanta 2-3 times each.
    If you take your egg or use one provided people cook an amount that is a good cook, don't plan on feeding the world. When you run out your turn is up.
    Many newbies like to attend one as spectators and observe.
    The metal plate setter is not a good idea in my opinion because it gets to hot. plate setters may be used to cook breads, pizzas and many other items and a metal one will not work.
  • StoicDude
    StoicDude Posts: 80
    Thank you for the clarification. That makes it much more appealing as a cook.

I will see if I will muster up the courage to cook.

The platesetter question was mainly for using the platesetter for shielding against direct heat.

I am thinking about making a platesetter for the mini out of stainless steel or even aluminum, cut in the same shape as the regular BGE platesetter.

I wouldn't cook anything on top of it, just use it as a shield. For pizza I would use a pizza stone on top of it.

Anybody cut firebricks to size for the mini, or is that a no-no?
    Reading about the firebricks it seems that they would be easily filed/ grinded down, so it looks like an option to me.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    "BOLOGNA FOR EVERYONE" Sorry Richard I couldn't resist. :woohoo: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    You can cut down a pizza stone and then cut some mini legs out of the scrap and JB weld-em to the slab.