Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wal-Mart Butt

Options
bryansj
bryansj Posts: 79
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last weekend was my first attempt at a Pork Butt on my then week old Egg. Friday I will be doing it again and of course want it to be better than last time. I now have my ET-73 thermometer instead of my $4 probe.

Last time I got the only 5 lb Boston Butt that Harry's Market had for sale as well as two racks of Baby Back Ribs. I felt that the Butt was a bit dry and from what I've read it may have been because it was small. Also, the ribs were the toughest ones I've ever cooked. I cooked some Publix ribs prior to that and they turned out well and I didn't even have a plate setter at the time. Both rib cooks were for three hours and the good one was at 250 direct and the tough one was at 250 indirect. They both reached 165. Were the Harry's ribs just a poor cut or did I screw them up?

Anyway, I was at Wal-Mart getting some Royal Oak lump and decided to check out the meat selection. I noticed 7-8 lb Tyson pork butts in vac-wrap packaging for less than what I paid for 5 lbs. Has anyone tried this and would you recommend it? Where is a good place to get good butt? :P

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Three hours indirect on ribs isn't long enough to get them tender in most cases.

I would check those butts to see if they have "solution added". If so, then take a pass.
  • mattrapp
    mattrapp Posts: 107
    Options
    I would be very leary about that butt. Look to see if it says anything like "enhanced" "tender moist" etc. and look very closly at the label to see if it says anything about a salt solution or percentage added. I stick only with unadulterated pork, the flavor and texture is better and you are not paying for water, which is why they add the solutions in the first place. It might be free from this, but I doubt it. Oddly enough, the pork at a Sam's club is not enhanced(yet).
  • bryansj
    Options
    Well I have a Costco membership, but not Sam's. That leaves me with Costco, a butcher shop in Acworth, Publix, Krogers, and Super Target.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    from your list i would be a regular at costcos. avoid walmart meat at all costs as even the beef is enhanced. cook your ribs longer, you will be happier, about 190 internal. rule of thumb is cook them til they look done, then cook them another hour ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Go to the butcher shop. Most butchers sell twin pack butts for under $1.50 per pound.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    It's hard to take the temp on ribs, but 165 is generally too low. The collagen that makes ribs tough starts breaking down at 140, but doesn't really get going till around 160, and finishes around 185+. Q'ing is a balance between getting the fat to render, the collagen to turn to gel, and still have enough moisture in the meat. You might have gotten lucky with the direct cook, because the IR was intense enough to melt the collagen before the slab as a whole got hot.

Its worth looking around for a store w. a good meat section. The store should at least have some folks who actually cut up meat on occasion, and don't just put out pre-packaged.

While my local market usually has a good selection of meats for BBQ, and will special order if asked, I have continued to hunt around. I've found 2 places that are almost just butcher shops, and I found a real butcher 2 counties away. It worth making the trip every few months to stock up. So, be on the look-out.
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    Although Costco butts are boned, I've had good luck with them but have not had a boned in butt to compare it to - I'm looking :S . Makes sense to me that the bone would add some flavor. However my family would rather eat my BBQ than stop at a pit BBQ restaurant. That's good enough for me :) .
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    I have never seen a pork butt at my Costco, was there this morning,nothing. I was going to ask the butcher but they must have been on break and I didn't see a bell. Oh well. I did get some p.tenderloins and tri tips.

I'll have to go to my local market for em.

Regards,
    Bordello
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Just wondering, does your Costco have the butts out in the case or do you have to ask for em???

Thanks,
    Bordello
  • NoVA Bill
    Options
    Out in the case. Two per package.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    My thoughts are with what has been mentioned below. Many pre-packaged (vacuum sealed) meats (especially pork & beef) are injected with a saline solution (check the label) which prolongs shelf life and also adds weight. I won't mention brands here but no doubt they're in your local markets. When that's the case, a buy is not a buy to me! And remember, unadulterated meat from happy animals makes for clean plates! 8 - )
    cow2Bwith2Bgrin.jpg
  • NoVA Bill
    Options
    BTW at my Costco in Leesburg, they are constantly moving meat around to different cases, especially butts, ribs and roasts - why? I don't know.
  • NoVA Bill
    Options
    looks like your beef needs a dental plan :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • fishlessman
    Options
    costcos is too far for me to shop, but my dads girlfriend goes to one and brings steaks, tenderloins, and those three packs of back ribs. always top quality. porkbutts i usually pick up at the local butcher, they are always boneless and they cost more than 3 bucks a pound
    fukahwee maine

• NoVA Bill
    Options
    FYI, I picked up 16+ lbs of costco butt at $1.39/lbs
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Funny, but who eats the gums? 8 - )
  • fishlessman
    Options
    closest one to me is an hour away, dont understand why theres not one right in my area, we have everything else. i can get stuff better than costcos from the butchers here, but dont always like paying the higher price and dont really need the top grades. in some parts of the world an hour is down the street, in newengland its like driving cross country. :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

• NoVA Bill
    Options
    You know happy/healthy cows = happy beef :whistle:
  • NoVA Bill
    Options
    I hear ya. I have asked some of the long time Loudoun County residents for G2 on butcher shops - I can't find any - and the closest Sam's could be an hour drive on way. I'm going to follow Mad Max's lead and hit the Eastern Market in WDC soon.
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    Bob, AZRP told me there's a restaurant depot in Mesa. I haven't been to it yet but I've been to the one in Milwaukee and I 2 bone-in boston butts a few weeks ago and they were fantastic!! The price was right too. I think I paid .98/lb. You might want to check it out.
  • Ex-Gasman
    Ex-Gasman Posts: 287
    Options
    Most Walmart meat is injected with a solution. Why do you think their meat is a pretty red. I cooked some steaks other night that my wife picked up not knowing any better. The meat was still pink inside. I know they where med-well done using the Thermapen. Checked the Package and had a 12% solution. I will not eat Walmart meat again.
  • Aunt Crazy
    Aunt Crazy Posts: 378
    Options
    In my experience, whether cooking on a BGE or not, it is best to put a little change into the meat. In other words, unless you are doing stir-fry, go to a reputable butcher or meat dealer. Be careful at Sam's, etc. It will be worth the few bucks difference....
  • bryansj
    Options
    I ended up at Costco and found the 14 to 15 lb. pork shoulder double packs for about $20. I also picked up some ribeyes and some wild salmon (for $8.99/lb).
  • mattrapp
    mattrapp Posts: 107
    Options
    In our area Sam's is one of the few places that still has unadulterated meats, with the exception of chicken :angry:Aunt Crazy wrote:
    In my experience, whether cooking on a BGE or not, it is best to put a little change into the meat. In other words, unless you are doing stir-fry, go to a reputable butcher or meat dealer. Be careful at Sam's, etc. It will be worth the few bucks difference....
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I've had luck at bj's, any near you?