Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Cleaning the BGE

Big PapaBig Papa Posts: 220
edited 4:10AM in EggHead Forum
How do I clean BGE? I seen some of your guys get the dome white as new. How did you do that?
WHat temp?
How long?
Are my gaskets safe?

My BGE is very dirty!!!!

Thanks
Big Papa

Comments

• FidelFidel Posts: 10,172
    I do mine at 600*-650* until the lump gives out. At least an hour, sometimes 2 or 3.
  • Aunt CrazyAunt Crazy Posts: 378
    But that would not get it white as new, would it? And how often do you do that? I usually run it up high like that right after a cook for about 30 minutes...any direction would be greatly appreciated..... :kiss:
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,172
    Not as white as new, but certainly much better than if you didn't do it at all.

I do it 4 or 5 times a year. More frequently if I do a lot of pork butts or briskets.
  • CrimsongatorCrimsongator Posts: 5,795
    1. High as you feel comfortable
    2. Until all of the gray smoke is gone and add 30 minutes
    3. Maybe not
  • CrimsongatorCrimsongator Posts: 5,795
    The firebox and fire ring looks white as new. The dome is lucky to get a muted black finish. Very dull look is what I am looking for

before
    002.jpg

after
    001.jpg
  • PhilsGrillPhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    650 for about 4 hours.
  • Aunt CrazyAunt Crazy Posts: 378
    Wow. Okay. I am on it. I will let you know how it works.....