Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ORKA - What is it??

Options
Geoduck
Geoduck Posts: 76
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
ORKA was mentioned twice in a post re: where to put a place setter. Can't figure this one out and can't find it in a search. :huh:

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Several online sources, or retail sold all over as well.

31P7Q0E2CFL._AA280_.jpg

On Amazon
  • Geoduck
    Geoduck Posts: 76
    Options
    THANKS! :cheer: :cheer:
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    A Southertn thing. Best used as a thickening veggie in gumbo and great with tomatoes and onions.

Stew, Gumbo, Turkey & Sausage, Richard Fl

Oh! What to do with all those great turkey leftovers? A friend of mine who works in a BBQ joint gave me the legs and wings of 4 BBQ'd turkeys yesterday and asked me to make some gumbo. TUFF Project!!

100_1293.jpg

INGREDIENTS:
    3 Stalks Celery, Diced Small
    1 Cup Bell Pepper, Red and Yellow (Seeded and Diced Small) Green will also work.
    2-3 Cups Onions, Chopped Large
    1 Cup Carrots, Diced
    3-4 Bunches Scallions, Sliced Small
    2-3 Lbs. Okra, Sliced
    2-3 Tbs Garlic, Chopped
    2 Lbs Andouille Sausage, (Cut in 1/4 length wise and then 1/4 in. pieces)
    6 Cups Turkey, Cooked, Chopped (1 in. pieces)
    10-12 Cups Turkey/Chicken Stock
    2-3 Tbs Creole Seasoning
    2 Tbs Indian River Pepper Blend
    File
    1 Can Rotel, Hot ( Optional )
    Roux
    1/2-3/4 Cup Oil, Peanut or Canola
    3/4-1 Cup Flour
    Equiptment:
    1 9 Qt Dutch Oven
    Handful Apple Wood small chunks

Procedure:
    1 I did all the preliminary cooking on the stove. ESPECIALLY the roux to control the temperature. After all was assembled and brought to a boil, it was them placed on the BGE.
    2 In a heavy bottom Dutch oven/stock pot saute in cooking oil (olive not recommended because of flavor) celery, bell peppers, onions, carrots and garlic until softened. Remove and then sauté sausage. Remove and drain. Next make the roux in the pot. When ready Slowly add some hot broth. and the rest of the ingredients. Some of the okra and broth may have to be added after an hour or so as there will be more room.. If you want hot add the Rotel the last hour.
    Roux
    1 If doing the roux in a separate pot:--In the dutch oven or a heavy duty skillet, cast iron works best, heat up the oil slowly and whisk in the flour a 1/4 at a time. Bring heat up and whisk constantly. Careful not to burn. if it burns start over, a cheap investment. It will get to the color of peanut butter or a new shiney copper penny, 10-15 minutes. Mix 1/4 cup or so to the rest of the pot and stir slowly BE CAREFUL, THE HOT ROUX MAY SPLATTER. Stir slowly and let simmer for an hour or so, stir often as the gumbo may stick to the bottom and burn if left unattended. Enjoy!
    Cooking:
    1 BGE Set up indirect, inverted, legs up, plate setter at 350°F, with little spacers between plate setter and pot, unless it has its own feet. Cook with some smoke, I used apple. Stir every hour or so for 3-4 hours. May need to add more broth or so! Ready.l
    2 This particular batch I put on at 7PM and shut down the BGE at 3:30 AM, leaving the pot in until 9 AM Great flavor.
    3 Place in a serving bowl, over rice works for some, and then add a little file. Enjoy !!!

Recipe Type
    Dutch Oven, Main Dish, Poultry

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2008/01/23
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    D$$%&*, getting old and moving letters around.
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Options
    Welcome to the old and feeble. :evil:
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    But can you pick up a plate setter with it :laugh: :laugh:

Bet you don't have a recipe for the gloves :huh: :P
  • TNmike
    TNmike Posts: 643
    Options
    Richard, if it makes you feel better I read it the same way. :whistle: I wondered why Fidel was posting the pic of a rubber glove and then DUH. Seems a beer or 12 does have an effect on me.Mike
  • Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    Don't feel bad, I once responded to a post where I messed up extremely simple math. That is many times worse than transposing two letters.
    I would also add that you should get some bonus points, because that was the most detailed, and informative incorrect response I have ever seen. :woohoo:
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Welcome to the club. :lol:

Cheers,
    Bordello
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Pomegranete martinis??? :laugh:
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    Are we still on the same page

Vodka, Martini, Pomegranate, Carrabba's

INGREDIENTS:
    2 Ozs. Vodka, Peach, Absolute
    2 Ozs. Orange Juice, Fresh
    3/4 Oz. Pomegranate Mix, MONIN, Clearwater, FL
    Splash Sprite

Procedure:
    1 Mix and shake over cubes of ice. Strain into a chilled martini glass.

Servings: 1

Recipe Type
    Beverage

Recipe Source
    Source: Carrabbas, Melbourne, Florida, 2006/12/22
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    Pat,

Can't you keep your fellow Floridians under control? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Hoss
    Options
    Looks like a yummee drink.I was wonderin if it made letters move? :laugh: Just funnin.BTW that spice combo of yours that I used on the brisket was the ABSOLUTE BEST I've ever tried on a brisket.Look out Nature Boy!!! ;)
  • JB
    JB Posts: 510
    Options
    I thought ORKA was a killer whale... :huh:
  • Hoss
    Options
    Orca is the swimmin mammal! ;)