Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another First Butt Post

bryansj
bryansj Posts: 79
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've had my Large BGE for right over a week and yesterday got a plate setter, but my ET-73 thermometer is still in the mail. Anyway I decided to go ahead and try my first Boston Butt since they had one five pounder left at Harry's.

I grabbed my crappy $4 probe thermometer that I've had for years and jammed it in trying to get in the middle away from the bone. I filled the egg with lump to right above the fire box, placed in some wood chips, and lit it with a starter block. I closed it up with the vents wide open. Once it reached ~250 I put in the plate setter and grid and closed it until it again reached 250. Next I opened it and put in my drip pan under the grid and butt sitting on the V-rack on the grid. Now I shut the lower vent to about an inch and put on the top with it shut and the daisy grid full open. As it approached 250 I started tuning the vents. It was now 9:30pm. My previous attempt at ribs was my low and slow practice so I had some idea of what I needed.

Initially it overshot to about 265, but I left it with a sliver open on both vents and it was a stable 250 by midnight. I woke up around 6:30 and it was at 260. A small daisy wheel tweak later left me at exactly 250 at 9:00am. At 10:00 I opened it to check the butt temperature and it was almost 185.

When would you pull it?

Comments

• TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    I don't pull mine till 200. Others pull theirs at 195.
  • rosros
    rosros Posts: 408
    Its nice to wake up in the morning and find the egg just churning away
  • We take ours off the Egg at 200. Wrap it in aluminum foil, then place in a towel-lined cooler (no ice....just towels on the bottom and on top of the butt) for about two hours. Then we take it out and pull pork. Yum! Yum! We've only had the Egg for about three months but have done two butt events....success both times!
  • Griller
    Griller Posts: 88
    I pulled mine yesterday at 190F after an enjoyable 19 hour cook. Like some of the others that posted, I (triple) wrap it up in foil and place in a cooler for two hours.

Pull-n-serve and smile. It'll be awesome I'm sure. Be sure to post the pics!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Folks will pull at different temperatures.

I pull between 150° and 200°, and I don't get too worried it it is 205°.

Use a fork to check for tenderness, or bone twist if it is a bone in cut. At about 195° (+ or -) the butt is ready you want it to be tender.

When you pull it wrap it in foil, no need to go more than 1 wrapping. I use Heavy Duty aluminum foil as I don't want any drippings flowing out of the wrap.

If you are going to use a cooler, put some towels under and over the meat. Some stuff with newspaper.

I went to walmart and picked up 2 yards of fleece (stadium blanket material) which is 50" wide. Fold it in half then wrap up the meat in the material.

It's a big bundle but it keeps ribs hot for 4 hours and a butt or brisket hot to the touch for 5 to 6 hours. I don't bother with the cooler. There are many ways to do all this.

GG