Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Naked Burgers may be the BEST

Options
mad max beyond eggdome
mad max beyond eggdome Posts: 8,134
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi gang! you know, we have lots of discussion here on the forum on the best way to make a burger. . .generally the participants agree that "lest is best", maybe some salt, pepper, or some rub. . ..the burger is always fantastic. . .but what do you all do with that simple, delicious burger?. . .if you're like me, you slap it on a great big ol bun, put lettuce, onions, pickles, tomatoe, mustard, ketchup, mayo, sauce, in all or some part of these things, or lots of other stuff. . .so that simple burger now has to compete with all kinds of other flavors once in your mouth. . .not that this is a bad thing mind you, its just the way it is. . .. [p]well, last night, the wife says, "lets have burgers, but skip the bread and other stuff, just hamburger steaks" (and after all, like the commercial says "what is hamburger anyway, but ground up steak?"). . .so i prepare a couple of big honkin burgers (about 3/4 pound each), with nothing more on them than kosher salt and dizzy pig cowlick rub, grilled them in the egg direct at about 450 until done, and served them up with nothing more than some ketchup on the side. .. served with some potatoe salad and a green salad for dinner. . .[p]well let me tell you. . ..they were FANTASTIC. . .i ended up not even dipping mine in the ketchup. .. the rub was melted into the burger just like on a steak. . .the juices flowed (even though they were done a good medium well). . . the great flavor imparted by the egg just really stood out. .. [p]i may never eat a burger on a bun again (at least not one done in the egg). . .like i said earlier, what is a burger anyway, but chopped up meat from that same animal that gives us great steaks?. . .would you slather that filet or sirloin with ketchup and other stuff. .i think not. . ..so why treat the lowly burger any differently??. . .[p]try it, you might like it!!. . ...all of this IMHO of course. ..

Comments

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Now that is plain weird. I did the same thing last night.
    I got home late, really didn't feel like cooking, got fishing around the fridge and decided to grill a big burger.
    While the mini was heating up, I formed a 1 lb chuck paddy, doused it good with Cow Lick and then threw on the grill around 400. On a whim after last flip I put the last of some leftover grated parmesan on the burger, closed up the cooker for a few minutes to let the cheese melt, then onto a plate next to a fresh cut tomato and declared it dinner.
    The flavor was all about the beef..... and I, too, thought I need to do this more often. Good stuff![p]John

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    brilliant (or warped, not sure which) minds do think alike. . .i didn't even do cheese. . .but i just couldn't believe the way the flavor stood out. . .it was just so outstanding. . .. you know, i usually through a chunk of wood in the fire, and i didn't even do that. ..so it really was au-natural. . ..best topless thing i've seen since the last time i was in myrtel beach :)

• BluesnBBQ
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]In a fancy restaurant they call that "chop steak," and it would probably cost you several times what you paid to cook it yourself. :)[p]I like seasoning burgers with just salt and pepper before grilling.

• Charbon
    Charbon Posts: 222
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome, Try a naked cajun burger for a simple change. I rub cajun into a big hunkin pattie and wrap in plastic wrap for an hour. Grill at 600 with top down (save my gaskets please). Several minutes on each side and you are ready for a real treat. I'm going to do it again tonight.

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,
    you're absolutely right. . .even at the dinner down the street from me, they charge you about $11.00. . .and it still isn't as good as what came off the egg last night. ..and it only cost me about a buck and half a pound for 80/20. . .

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Charbon,
    i haven't gotten too much into any cajun rubs yet. . .do you have any recommendations for one readily available in most grocery stores?. ..

• Fairalbion
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    This is the way those on carb-controlled diets eat their burgers. I notice that restaurants now don't even blink an eye if you order a burger and tell them to hold the bun.

--
    Andrew (BGE owner since 2002)
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Fairalbion,
    trust me, i never let my taste for something get in the way of my weight. . . if i like it, i'll eat it regardless. . .i'm on that see-food diet - "if i see food, i eat it". .. LOL. . .but you guys on the atkins gang sure aren't missing anything by skipping the bun on an "egged" burger. . [p]

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    I think the most popular around is Tony Chachare's Creole Seasoning, Max. You should be able to find it easily. It's in a green container. Someone sent me the recipe for it here recently so I could mix up my own. Let me know if you want it and I'll pass it along.[p]Jim
  • char buddy
    Options
    WooDoggies,[p]this really is wierd. I did the same thing last night as well - only I used buns. [p]
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    JSlot,
    thanks, i'll keep an eye out for it. .. i'm way too lazy to try to make my own. .

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    char buddy ,
    be bold next time and go naked!! . . .

• JSlot,[p]Sorry about the last post, inadvertently hit send buttom before message was typed.Would love the Tony C's recipe.
    Jim, please check your e-mail sent you a note.[p]Thanks;[p]Vic in UT

• char buddy
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]you know somebody with the wrong sort of mind could reach the wrong conclusions about what we're talking about - buns, naked meat, etc. [p]
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    char buddy ,
    as long as its not your or my naked buns. .. we're probably ok. . .LOL

• JSlot
    Options
    I responded to your earlier e-mail before reading the post, Vic. I'll send the Tony C' recipe along. BTW, it was Spin who got me that one. Thanks, Spin![p]Jim
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Jim,[p]I'd love to get that recipe...![p]Tonia
    :~)

• chuckls
    chuckls Posts: 399
    Options
    Fairalbion,[p]Yeah, I agree this is the way to go for carb-control which I have been doing for about 4 weeks now (-12 lb). I'm headed to KC tomorrow for a golf tourney, and would much rather get the 'chopped steak' in my box lunch at the turn, rather than a sandwich, chips, and an apple![p]Chuck
  • Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    I've been doing burgers that way since my wife and I gave up bread, potatoes, pasta and rice a few weeks ago. I grill mine 4/3/4 at 650 degrees and add a big slab of cheddar cheese or Jack cheese after the second sear. Some egged onions go very nicely with the burgers. In fact, that's what I have on the menu for tonight.

• JSlot
    Options
    I'll get it out to you, Tonia. See you guys in a few weeks!![p]Jim
  • JSlot
    Options
    Send me your e-mail addy please, Tonia. I thought I had it, but I don't. Thanks![p]Jim
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]This is how I usually eat my burgers, but it's most often b/c I eat the burger right off the plate outside beside the Egg while everyone else's buns are toasting on the grill. Just a burger cook tradition I suppose - I'm just not very patient is what it really boils down to.[p]But you're right - naked burgers really expose the flavors of the meat/rub combination and show off the Egg's magical properties.[p]Good post.[p]TRex[p]