Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with White Meat Tuna

Options
HighMedLow
HighMedLow Posts: 32
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Recommendations please:[p]My neighbor gave me 1 lb chunk (no skin) of the white meat tuna. Naturally I had to sample some right away, sushi style (sliced thin), very mild and soft – not much texture, low on flavor. Cut two slices about ¼ thick (about 2” dia) at most and put into a pan w/butter (low temp, like I was cooking an egg) for about 45 seconds. Cooked thru, turned white (from the original pale pink translucent color).[p]How would you cook it ? [p]HML

Comments

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    HighMedLow, the best way is at very high heat and a good sear. Stop there. Most cooked tuna is left red in the center, spice as you like

• HighMedLow
    Options
    tach18k,[p]Thanks I'll do that...
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    HighMedLow,[p]I agree with Tach, sear very hot to get an outer crust and to just get the center warm..... just like a good steak.
    Doesn't need much seasoning and squeeze a wedge of lemon over just before eating...... you are lucky to have such a good neighbor![p]John

• HighMedLow
    Options
    WooDoggies,[p]Lot-o-Lump & Mesquite gave the nice blackened char marks of the grill.
    2 min, turned 60 degrees, 1 1/2 min, turned 60 again for 2 last minutes. Prior to cook, had soaking in orange juice w/ worcestershire for about 40 min as it came to room temp.
    The inside was just over warm. Aromas drifted to my senses of meat & charcoal wood fire smells, and a bite gave me just a hint of sweetness of the orange, a very nice combination.[p]Thanks very much.[p]HML