Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What a waste!

Options
Tony S.
Tony S. Posts: 114
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
In April, the wife and I went shopping for a new gas grill. Bought a beautiful one for $1300.00. As soon as I got it home, I started to search for BBQ sites, as wanted to put it to the best use possible.

I came upon the site and was captivated. I researched the EGG and my wife ended up getting me one LBGE for my birthday/father's day in June.

The very sad part of all of this is that the gas grill sits, and has not been used in over a month. I have to find some way to use it in order to try and make my wife feel better.

She loves the food off the EGG, but everytime we are on the desk, she looks at the gasser with its cover on it and shakes her head.

I guess I could always take it off the deck and place it into the garage.

Anyway, that is my story of a waste of $1300.00.
Manitoba, Canada Large BGE

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Tony s,

Don't be so hard on your gasser. They make a great place to store eggcessories.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BConk
    BConk Posts: 72
    Options
    Tony S. wrote:
    In April, the wife and I went shopping for a new gas grill. Bought a beautiful one for $1300.00. As soon as I got it home, I started to search for BBQ sites, as wanted to put it to the best use possible.

I came upon the site and was captivated. I researched the EGG and my wife ended up getting me one LBGE for my birthday/father's day in June.

The very sad part of all of this is that the gas grill sits, and has not been used in over a month. I have to find some way to use it in order to try and make my wife feel better.

She loves the food off the EGG, but everytime we are on the desk, she looks at the gasser with its cover on it and shakes her head.

I guess I could always take it off the deck and place it into the garage.

Anyway, that is my story of a waste of $1300.00.

It's not totally useless..for example - you can start your charcoal chimneys on the gasser - especially if it has the side burners....and with the nice big grate inside and big hinged lid they make a great place to keep all your egg-cessories handy and out of the elements. :whistle:
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Never hurts to have some extra space to warm some bread or char a hotdog for the kids. Too bad it cost so much.
  • FSUScotsman
    FSUScotsman Posts: 754
    Options
    Put it up for sale, but hide the Egg before you bring someone in to see it!!!
  • LFGEnergy
    LFGEnergy Posts: 618
    Options
    Ever heard of CraigsList? Get if off of the back porch, and when she finally notices it is gone, act surprised! I have 2 smokers, and one gas grill sitting like a bone yard next to the BGE.

Good luck - and good egging!!!!
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    advertise the gasser for sale on craigslist, precook some food on the egg and hide the egg before the potential buyer shows up, let him sample the egg food pretending it was cooked on the gasser :evil:
    canuckland
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    DingDingDingDing!!!!!!!!

While it's rust free :laugh:
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Options
    I don't know if you entertain but if you do, the gas grill will come in handy. I have the same issue but I know my gasser will be handy "one" day. I can't do it all on the EGG, unless.... I get another EGG and right now I am lucky to have the one EGG I got. If you know what I mean........

Gary
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Ain't that entrapment? :laugh:

The new "Sucker" :laugh:
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    Take a little hit on the new gasser to sell it and get another large. As for the wifes reactions just tell her it was all her fault. That you had a new grill when she bought you another one but you liked her gift so much you had to have another one.:laugh:evil:
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

You are not alone, 4 different kind of smokers and 3 gas grills when I got my first egg.

If you really think about it, aren't you glad!

My only regret is I which I got my egg a lot earlier in life... my egg, well my 4 eggs. Yes, there is just the wife an I. She could care less about the old gas'rs and smokers.

GG
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    :laugh: Got to agree with Stevie as I have two old Gassers that I use for storage and as a computer stand in the Shack!
  • SteveinTN
    SteveinTN Posts: 232
    Options
    yes,
    i have a ss viking that has not been lit in 18 mos.

i am ok with that. love my egg

steve
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    It's 7:30 in the morning, my family is still sleeping and you guys made me crack up outloud!
    A 2year old 800 dollar gasser and a 6month old 400 smoker here. Sold the gasser lent out the smoker. Not ahead though cuz I need to go out and buy something to replace the storage space.
  • RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    Options
    Remind me not to buy anything from you!

Michael
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    hey Michael, I got a freezer full of hangers @ $0.99/lb, sure you don't want some? :P
    -Gary
    canuckland
  • FSUScotsman
    FSUScotsman Posts: 754
    Options
    I have to agree with you about wishing I had mine earlier in life. I was about 50 when I got my first one.

My comparison is to my cameras. When I decided to go digital I when upper end point and shoot, some really nice cameras that took really good pictures, but I was never really happy with them. I never took as many pictures with them as I had even with my old film cameras because I just couldn't quite get the right results. Finally I caved in and bought a really good DSLR and WHAM I never looked back. The old cameras are going to be display along with my antique cameras. The only difference here is that I'm not going to display my gasser!!! It hit the curb.
  • LoveHandles
    LoveHandles Posts: 156
    Options
    I have one too, but built into the outdoor kitchen. Great place to store your egg tools and good place to put food to keep my labs from stealing stuff off the counter.