Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question For Rib Masters

Options
Dave
Dave Posts: 163
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey Gang: [p] I have seen some posts that say to remove the ( CHINE )? from the ribs before you put them on the egg. What do you mean when you say ( CHINE )? I take it that it is the the piece on the back of the slab.
Thanks Dave

Comments

• Dave,
    read this from JSlot's thread:[p]The ribs from Sam's come with the brisket bone, or chine, attached. This is the end of the ribs that contains the cartilage, or knuckles, that attached the ribs to the sternum of Mr. Piggy. Cut this portion off as close to the end of the rib bone as you can.[p]hope this helps

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Wil steered you correctly, Dave. At the very least, that should give you an idea of what you are cutting off. There have been a few threads talking about the proper nomenclature for that part of the rib slab. I was thumbing through "Smoke and Spice" the other day and the Jamison's refer to it as the chine portion also, so that's good enough for me. Good luck with the ribs. Make sure you go to Wise One's updated version of the cookbook on TNW's site and read my revised recipe. The one on the BGE site is outdated. Feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions.[p]Best Regards,
    Jim

• Mikey
    Mikey Posts: 56
    Options
    Dave,
    This isn't what you asked for (but then, I'm no rib master either, heh), but take a look at this site for some great pictures on prepping ribs.[p]hth,
    Mike

• a_Center_Cut_Pork_Chops_Chine_Bone_On.gif
    <p />Dave, As for ribs, the only style of ribs that contain the chine bone are the country style ribs that come from the loin area of the hog. The chine bones are actually the vertebrae (spine bones) that were cut down the center of the spine when the hog was butchered and cut in half lengthwise.[p]The chine bone can be seen on this (poor quality) picture in the post. The lower right hand corner of the pork chop is where the chine bone can be seen. The right side of the pork chop contains the back rib bone.[p]What you are referring to as the chine bone is called the brisket bone. The brisket bone is found on the spare ribs, only. Some people incorrectly refer to the flap of skin on the bone side of a slab of spares as the pork brisket. The common industry term for that flap of meat is the skirt meat or BBQ tender.[p]As to preparing spare ribs, some people such as myself cut these ribs down St. Louis style. This means removing the cartilage area as well as the brisket bone. The end result will give a slab of ribs that look similar to a slab of back ribs. Some people will remove that skirt meat before cooking the ribs. I will take the rib tips and cut them into smaller pieces and cook them too. Make sure you remove the membrane on the bone side of the ribs. [p]Other than removing membrane on the bone side of the ribs, a properly processed slab of back ribs should need no further preparation at home. [p]The link below will take you to real good web-site that will give you all sorts of information about pork ribs and the terms used by the pork industry.[p]As for a link that shows you how to cut your own St. Louis spare ribs, I will have to post that in another message. (That is if someone else doesn't beat me to the punch....) I hope this helps.[p]Lager,[p]JDB
    [ul][li]Ribman.com[/ul]
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Dave, Not sure if you got your answer. First which ribs are you talking about? If it is beef or pork baby backs, then there is a film of skin that is over the back side, or bone side of these ribs. I take a regular dinner knife (rounded tip) and slide it between the film and the meat or bone. Once I get it under, I lift the knife up, then I'm able to peel it off the rack. Sometimes it comes off in one piece or in many piece's. If your talking about other styles then the other post should serve you fine.