Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Burgers

Buxwheat
Buxwheat Posts: 727
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First time for these. Ground 5# of legs and thighs for 2.5# meat. Seasoned w/ Tony Chachere's and some McCormick's Lemon and herb. Added 1/3 cup dried onion per Little Steven's advice (Thanks! It worked). Made 5 really thick burgers. I should have made 6 and had them a little thinner. Cooked direct @ 450° for 24 min, turning 3 times. Took that long to get them to 180°. They were very moist, but the outside got a little crispy. Very tasty, though. Not a substitute for regular hamburgers, but an interesting change of pace.
Ready to go on:
1247789301.jpg
First flip:
1247789337.jpg
No pictures plated since I was in a hurry to get them to the table. My son had football practice tonite, and these were taking longer than I expected.

Comments

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    that is just weird, I just sent you an email about this
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Buxwheat
    Got the email. You are right, 'a pain in the ass, but tasty as hell'. Got another 5# waiting in the fridge for me to debone. Grinding w/ the KitchenAid was a snap, but it took me about an hour to get the meat ready. Might go faster the next time.
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    For me it's all about change of pace...trying to keep the menu varied. This is a good change up. One of these weeks try Jay's shrimp burgers (if you haven't done so already).
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Aunt Crazy
    Aunt Crazy Posts: 378
    Sooo, did you grind it yourself or have I had too much happy juice (peach wine is in)....
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Buxwheat,

My Mom used to put fresh tarragon in them. They were good. Glad the onion worked out. I hate doughy burgers.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Great first!! Now you can play with this. I will take this and do the same. Thanks for the post!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Gunner, I agree. Changing it up is great.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Those look great! As stated earlier, Jay's shrimp burger are outstanding!!
  • Buxwheat
    Nah, you probably didn't have too much peach wine. Got a grinder attachment for Father's Day and was looking for something to try it out on. Kroger had leg quarters on sale so I figured this would be a good experiment. Next up will be brisket burgers, or maybe brisket + bacon.
  • Aunt Crazy
    Aunt Crazy Posts: 378
    Can't wait to see the results! Don't you love getting eggcessories for gifts??? I got a great CI wok for Valentine's day--LOVE it!