Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help: Wet Laptop

Options
Semolina Pilchard
Semolina Pilchard Posts: 768
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What should be done with a laptop after water spilled all over the keyboard?

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Sorry to hear that. Have a friend who has dropped 2 cell phones in the swimming pool and also spilt a glass of water on one and I take them apart and place in the back window of the car and drive around for a few days. Hear Naked Wizard has eggsperience with a similiar situation.
  • faithie999
    faithie999 Posts: 98
    Options
    first, turn the computer upside down to let excess water to drip out. then, i would try letting it dry out for a few days, with the computer turned off if you can turn it off (take the battery out).

what i would try to accelerate the process is: if you have an oven with an oven light, turn on the oven light and put the computer in the oven. assuming your oven has the "standard" 40-watt appliance light bulb, the light should heat the oven to 90 or 100 degrees, which is below the temp that any electronics would be damaged.

i would think you have better than a 50% chance of the computer being fine after the water evaporates.

good luck!
  • Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    Thanks to you and Richard. I think it may be ok. At first I was told (or heard incorrectly) that water had spilled all over the keyboard. Now they are telling me that most of the water spilled on the arm of a chair and very little water actually hit the keyboard. If their oven has no light I will let them bring it here and I'll put it in the egg. :lol:
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Shut the lid, decorate it with some pretty rhinestones, and use it to keep papers from blowing off your desk.
  • BobinFla
    BobinFla Posts: 363
    Options
    Richard Fl wrote:
    Hear Naked Wizard has eggsperience with a similiar situation.
    :ohmy:
    I don't believe the Wizz ever even considered saving one of them. :sick:

BOB
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    Rinse out the water with distilled water to get rid of the salts in the original water. Follow that with 91% isopropyl alcohol to remove most of the distilled water and then let it dry out.

If you just let the original water dry the potential for corrosion causing salts remains.
  • Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    Thanks for all the help. Am told it is working this morning.