Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Canadian Thanksgiving Come Early -- Turkey Advice?

Options
Toronto James
Toronto James Posts: 26
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Canadian Thanksgiving is just a few weeks away.[p]I want to do this year's turkey in my BGE.[p]Any advice?[p]I have a large Egg -- how big a bird will it take? I'll be feeding a big crowd.[p]What equipment? Temp? Time? ...[p]As always thanks in advance for all your help you eggers.[p]Best,

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    toronto james,
    I've had great success doing the turkey just like you would do it in your oven. Indirect over a drip pan at 325 degrees. Add a little bit of smoke if you like smoke. Cook until the breast is around 165 degrees.[p]You can get more adventurous and try brining and injecting if you like, but if you want to keep it simple for the big day, it's hard to go wrong. Another thing I like to do is a couple of turkey breasts with Montreal Steak Seasoning on them. [p]Good luck!
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Mike in MN
    Options
    toronto james,
    I recently did a whole 12.8 # turkey. Turned out fantastic! Rubbed with seasoned olive oil, seasoned, then put on a preheated 425 BGE. Indirect over an inverted plate setter. After about 20 minutes, I allowed the temp to slowly drop to about 325 , and it ended up dropping into that 285 range for a while, but 325 was the set point. The total grill time was just under 4 hours and it was nicely done. The skin browned up in the first 20 minutes at 425. Minimal smoke, as it really sucks it in, and we (I mean my wife) doesn't like it that smokey. I call it residual smoke...whatever is left over from the previous grilling, and whatever the lump adds...no added chunks or chips.[p]It was brined for a few hours, and the cavity was stuffed with goodies. (apple, lemon, garlic, onion, etc) Cooked to an internal of 165.[p]I might even volunteer to do it for the family this Thanksgiving. (hate to step on mom's toes :>)[p]Mike in MN

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Have you tried a brined bird, James? They are great! Here's one I use all the time........[p]"It Came From the Brine"[p]
    1 Turkey
    2 cups kosher salt
    2 T dried rosemary
    2 T dried thyme
    2 T dried sage
    1 T dried marjoram
    1 T celery seeds
    1 T black peppercorns
    1 medium onion chopped
    1 medium carrot chopped
    1 rib celery chopped[p]For the brine container, I use my turkey frying pot lined with 2 plastic garbage bags (the aluminum will react with the salt).[p]Place 2 gallons of cold water in your brine container. Add all ingredients down to the peppercorns and stir to dissolve salt and herbs as much as possible. Place turkey in brine and add water to completely cover if needed. Cover and refrigerate for 24-48 hours. You can probably regulate the saltiness by adjusting the brine time for your taste after you have done one or two. Remove the turkey from the brine, rinse well under cold water, and then pat dry inside and out before cooking. Place an onion, a carrot, and a stalk of celery in the turkey cavity and cook at your normal time and temps.[p]Best of luck,
    Jim[p]