Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can a small do everything that a large can do?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was just wondering if a small egg can reach the same type of extreme searing heat as a large egg, and also, can it maintain the "low and slow" temp's at a steady rate for long periods of time, like overnight cooking? Any help would be greatly appreciated to this rookie who's still torn by the age-old question, small, medium, or large.[p]Also, one last thing.... whatever i get will go on my roof-top deck, as i live in the middle of the city of Philadelphia, and have no other outdoor space. Would it be dangerous to place the egg on a wooden deck such as this? Do sparks or flames shoot out of the egg from the bottom on long overnight cookouts, or high temp searing? [p]Thanks everyone!!!

Comments

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    G-man,[p]Yes, but ...[p]I started with a small and within a week, upgraded to a medium. A few month ago I sold my medium and upgraded to a large (I also have a mini).[p]If you can only have one egg, the medium or large is a better choice. I have had every size egg and love them all. I think the medium is the best combination, but is just a but a little lacking in grill space (but does everything very well).[p]When you get and egg, wou will not regret it![p]Smokey
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    G-man,[p]In my experience, the only difference between the large and small is grill area. On the small you can do a rack of ribs, if you roll and pin them, but only 1 rack.[p]I operate on a wooden deck too, and don't have a spark problem. Will you be mounting your Egg in a nest? I'd worry about heat buildup beneath the Egg if you don't.[p]Ken
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    G-man,[p]A small can do most anything that a large can do, except maybe a 18 lb turkey...![p]It is my favorite cooker for searing at high temps (750°+) and will do low and slow without a hitch (my longest so far on the small has been 18 hrs). We got ours for camping and it has been a WONDERFUL addition to our egg collection...[p]QBabe
    :~)

• QBabe,[p]Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking about buying the small and the mini, to be able to do low and slow (on the small) and high temp searing (on the mini). I found a website where i could purchase the small and the mini for the same price as the medium. Although I can't do a huge turkey on either of these, it's really just me and my finance for now, and i'll upgrade to another one in a few years, i guess.
  • Brian
    Brian Posts: 73
    Options
    G-man,
    Do yourself a favor and get a medium or a large. The distance between the cooking grid and the coal is substantially different allowing for more flexibility.

• Brian
    Brian Posts: 73
    Options
    G-man,
    Home Depot sells grill mats that are made of concrete fiber. Sparks and small embers do occasionally come out of the vent onto the deck. The pad protects from cosmetic damage and also from fire hazard. Plus it's cheap.[p]I would definitely consider a nest as well.

• Brian,[p]Thanks for the tip!!
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Brian,[p]That might make a difference on the mini, but what is the downfall on the small? I have a large, medium, and small and don't really have a problem with coals to grid distance, especially in low and slow situations where you're adding ceramic mass.[p]QBabe
    :~)