Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Hanger Steaks - A Visual Tour

FidelFidel Posts: 10,168
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Since their has been a buzz around hangers lately, and since I was lucky enough to score about 10 pounds of those beauties today, I thought I'd take some photos as I trimmed them up. While these are just a little graphic, I reckon most people looking at this thread aren't going to be vegetarians to begin with, and if you're freaked out my seeing the natural state of your dinner, then stop reading and looking here. The good news is that only about half the blood you'll see here is mine - the balance from the brilliant bovine beasts that bestowed this bounty.

These are from Restaurant Depot, and although this takes a little effort, a little time, and a really sharp knife, the price is about 25% of what they cost pre-trimmed elsewhere. Don't be afraid to steel that knife every few cuts and these cut and trim very easily. The first time I did these it took quite some time to trim just one package. Tonight I spent maybe 30 minutes to do three packages or six total hanging tenders.

First off, the packaging:

HangersPackaged.jpg

And one package unwrapped:

HangersTheRaws.jpg

A closer shot of a pair of them untrimmed and untouched by my knife, one top and one bottom:

HangersUnwrapped.jpg

That pesky little tendon you've heard so much about - this sucker is like the elastic waistband out of your skivvies gentlemen:

HangersTheTendon.jpg

All trimmed, clean, and ready to eat:

HangersTrimmed.jpg

The end product of six hanging tenders, one nice pile of meat:

HangersMeatPile.jpg

There are a few smaller chunks in my meat pile because it looks like some dillweed at the processing plant took a chainsaw to one of the tenders, it was almost completely cut in half crosswise, so I cut it into 4 chunks instead of 2 longer steaks.

And finally five sets all sucked free of air and ready for the freezer. One pair I left out and and about to make a marinade to soak them in tonight for a nice dinner tomorrow of onglet and pomme frites, courtesy of a little email exchange with Mad Max himself.

HangersDone.jpg

Comments