Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sleepless night; great results

Options
jpEGG
jpEGG Posts: 61
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Put two 8 pound butts on last night after searing/roasting a beef tenderloin.

DSC_0062.jpg

Thought I had temps stabilized. But my Maverick got me up several times because I think the fire was burning unevenly from the tenderloin cook. Always managed to save the situation, and the total butt cook took about 15 hours.

DSC_0065.jpg

I'm a testament to what I've read on this forum many times: It's pretty hard to mess up butts!

DSC_0001.jpg

Also, I've never posted pix to this forum, so this post is also about that. Since I so enjoy the forum, I figured I might as well contribute.

Comments

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    It looks just perfect. Thanks for posting.

Faith
    Tampa
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    Nice looking butts there Jim, and Welcome. Also, is that a large or medium egg you got?
    -Gary
    canuckland
  • jpEGG
    Options
    It's a large Gary...Got it six weeks ago and love. Just need a few more tools and toys!
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    nice pictures!!

yea butts are pretty forgiving before i got my guru i used to set my alarm for 3.5 hours and get up and check the temp.. i was never worried about getting too high i was worried about the fire going out..

looks like you will have some pulled pork to eat for awhile.. if you run into problems figuring out what to do with all of it remember your taters :laugh:

DSCN0276.jpg

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I don't believe anyone else has posted that they did a high heat cook before a lo-n-slo. Lots of folks talk about doing one or two other cooks after. Good the sear didn't gulp up to much lump.

Yes, if you can keep the fire going long enough, butts will almost always give at least some good food. Congrats.
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    Butts have to be forgiving 'cause I cook'em :laugh:

Nice cook, bet the BBQ was good! Looks like some of the bark didn't make it to the pulled pan. :unsure:
  • jpEGG
    Options
    You're right on both counts :P
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Options
    Nice job on the butts Jim,where is Janesville in comparison to Fond du Lac? (have a bunch of relatives there.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • jpEGG
    Options
    Dale,

About 100 miles southeast. We're near the Illinois state line, south of madison and north of rockford.