Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Injecting - Best Method?

Options
Bob V
Bob V Posts: 195
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Folks -

I have been experimenting with injecting brines and flavors into meats for awhile, but need some help. I've used the various "BBQ Injectors" - the huge ones with needles that look like air injectors for a basketball - and I've used hypodermic needles from our local vet supply store (#10 needles, I think). In the case of the BBQ injector, it left *holes* in the meat where the needle went in and out that were very obvious even after the meat was cooked. In the case of the hypodermic there was visible bruising of the meat. Obviously, I'm not doing something right.

In most cases I'm injecting pork loins. I tried injecting length-wise with the BBQ injector, but that's when I got the largest holes. With the hypodermic, I injected just like you would in giving a shot - push in, pull out slightly, inject. Following the instructions given in most recipes, the total amount that has to be injected requires you to punch a *lot* of holes in the meat to inject that much brine.

Anyone got any secrets to share on this? The flavor is always great, but the appearance leaves something to be desired.

Thanks -

Bob V

Comments