Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A note of caution when using the BGE!

Options
BHE1
BHE1 Posts: 205
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've had my eggs for over a year now and haven't had any issues---gaskets or flare-ups.

I did burn my foot yesterday though, yes my foot!!!! So word of caution, either always wear shoes when cooking and/or make sure the screen is SHUT! (I learned the hard way) Went out on the deck to rotate my food and stepped on a nice size piece of lump that flew out of the egg because the screen was wide open. I now have a nickel size burn on the bottom of my foot. OOOUUUCCCCHHHHH!

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Ouch!! sorry to hear that. But it is also good warning on why to keep the draft screen shut. better your foot than you house :whistle: :evil:
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I hate to admit it, but been there, done that - several years ago.

My large has no screen door and I also no longer use it barefoot. I stepped on a smaller piece of lump and got a nasty little burn right between the big toe and second toe on my left foot.
  • ourman
    ourman Posts: 2
    Options
    sorry but heres another handy tip.....watch where your walking.....just kidding
  • QMagoo
    QMagoo Posts: 2
    Options
    Hope you didn't bring rain after that little dance you did afterward!
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    I have to watch my dogs when using the large they sit right in front of the Egg to guard it while I am cooking. What can I say, there spoiled. It is a few years old and does not have a screen. I have just been putting it off. Not a real big urgency as I have a concrete patio not a deck.
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Options
    Although the Eggs are still in their nests located on a bare patch of ground I've started closing the screens as soon as I light the lump. I figure it's good practice for the day they are moved to the EggDeck which will have Azek (plastic) deck boards.