Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cherry Wood

otisdog
otisdog Posts: 187
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been using some cherry I got from a friend lately and I'm not crazy about the results so far. This came from wild cherry on the farm. Should it all be about the same or are there diff. types? Don't know if I just don't like it much or if I've got something diff.

Comments

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    First off was it really dry or fresh cut? If it was a little green you can get a funky taste from creosote that comes from burning green wood. Second was there bark? Bark will give off a different smoke.

Also what were you cooking? I like cherry for an all around smoking wood but I wouldn't use it with chicken or fish.

• giantwing
    giantwing Posts: 189
    i agree, i use cherry all the time but it is seasoned
  • emt_24
    emt_24 Posts: 94
    I've used both wild cherry and regular cherry and cant tell a difference in the two. Follow the 2 pieces of advice beforehand, the only thing I know to add is make sure you have the sweet blue smoke comming out the top.

Happy Egg'n!
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    The wild cherry, seasoned, is probably my favorite go to wood.

101_2734.jpg
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Just goes to show, diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks. Cherry is my favorite for chicken.

I really don't find that bark presents any issues with the wood I use either. I use black cherry.
  • Hungry Joe
    I might just give it a try next time I cook chicken!
  • otisdog
    otisdog Posts: 187
    looks like I'm wrong on all counts. bark on, a little green and used it on fish and chicken
  • Hungry Joe
    I did a little looking after Fidel's post and it seems cherry does go well with chicken. Since I burn cherry for heat, do woodworking with cherry, cook chicken at least once or twice a week and have a ton of the stuff I'm going to give it a try.

Well seasoned is the key though. The thin bark won't matter much but I remove the thicker bark.
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    I've been using cherry for smoke for a couple of weeks now and find that I like it on pork and beef. Will try it on chicken tomorrow night (it was good on my eggs this AM).

I agree with the other posts - seasoned, keep bark small in comparison to wood surface and get the good smoke.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    It's very good with chicken. Also butternut squash!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Papa bear
    Papa bear Posts: 26
    Interesting comment, we really like Cherry wood with our poultry.

WE got some from a friend that had gotten it from some one she new at work. She got us hooked with her turkeys that she does on the webber. But they do come out much better on the egg.

Have a good week end.

Mike :)