Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

? for Guru owners

Options
HuevoMacho
HuevoMacho Posts: 28
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I used the guru for the first time this week and had good results. But there's some open questions I have:

1. I basically had the top grate shut with the exception of a small sliver to let air push through. I didn't do much experimentation... but what effect does the top grate have on the temp?

2. I found that opening the dome really drops the temp. The dome was open for maybe 30 seconds and I was losing 50 degrees; it was taking about 5 or so minutes to get back up to 350. Is that normal?

3. There was a lot of moisture in the egg! I found that there was alot of sooty moisture built up on the top grate and at the bottom vent, dripping out in some cases. Again, is this normal?

Thanks for your help!!

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    1. This will somewhat depend on how far the slider is open on the blower. If the lower vent is wider open the free air, that is, air flow when the blower is not on then the egg will heat up from the natural draft.

2. Of course, it also does the same in non guru operation. If the ceramics are up at temperature the recovery should be fairly quick. Yes, normal.

3. Probably nothing to do with the guru and more to do with the humidity in your area. It is pretty dry out here but once in a while I will get moisture in the egg like you described. I just let the next cook burn for a little while before adding food.

GG
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    Options
    I have only used mine for low and slows. I just leave the slots on the daisy wheel open.
    I have the same happen on 2 and 3. Never been a big concern to me. Open the lid as little as possible. I did three pork butts last nite and never opened until they were done 13 hours later.
  • HuevoMacho
    HuevoMacho Posts: 28
    Options
    Thanks for the info.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    1. I have the small holes cracked just enough to see some smoke puffing out when the fan cycles on.

2. Opening the dome always lets heat out. Before I open it, I just unplug my Guru (I have an older model) then do whatever I need to tend on the inside, then close the dome. Then I wait 4 or 5 minutes before plugging it back in. This way the Guru does not try to correct the pit temp, which will recover on it's own.

3. I've heard of folks mentioning moisture, we have low humidity, so I have not noticed this.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery