Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Old/New/Old Eastern Market and Beef Short Ribs

mad max beyond eggdomemad max beyond eggdome Posts: 8,133
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
winter08-09167.jpg

As some of you may remember the historic eastern market on Capitol Hill in Washington DC had a major fire 2 years ago. ..its where we always went to buy our packer briskets and hanger steaks (and other goodies). ...for the past two years the various vendors were able to operate out of a temporary shed across the street in a school yard while they rebuilt the old market (the shell survived the fire, but that was about it) .. .. they re-opened the market last week and did a beautiful renovating the place.. ..using old photos and historical documents they restored to its original colors and look to the best of their ability while modernizing all the electrical and mechanical systems. ..all the vendors are right back in their original spots. ...

winter08-09166.jpg

of course, i couldn't go in without visiting my favorite butcher, roy, at union meats and picking up a whole brisket!! ....roy is just happy to be back in his old spot and says "Hi"!!

winter08-09165.jpg

while i was there, they also had some great looking, really meaty beef short ribs. ...picked up a couple of pounds worth. ...first thing i did was dust em up with some dizzy cow lick

summer09001.jpg

then onto the egg direct at about 450 degrees with some jack daniels chips for about 5 minutes per side. . .just long enough to get some good egg flavor into them . .

summer09004.jpg

then into a pan with some red onion and about half full with a good hearty burgundy wine

summer09005.jpg

then i sealed the pan up really good and tight with a double layer of HDAF and put it back in the egg indirect (grid over inverted plate setter) at about 375 dome temp for a good 2 1/2 hours ( could have gone even longer but thats all the time i had as we were going out) . .

summer09006.jpg

when they came out of they came out of the egg after the 2 1/2 hours the meat was falling off the bones, it was very tender. ...i took the meat of the pan and set it aside on a plate. . .

summer09008.jpg

i then took a large skillet, heated it up, put in 3 tablespoons of butter and 3 tablepoons of flour, whisked that into a smooth roux, then poured in all the liquid from the pan. ...whisked it into a smooth sauce, and then added in the onions as well. . .made a fantastic sauce!!

summer09009.jpg

then i put the beef ribs into the skillet, turned them over in the sauce a couple of times and they were ready to serve. ...

summer09012.jpg

served em in big bowls over pasta ..(would have been slightly better over egg noodles, but didn't happen to have any, but really any pasta will do).

summer09013.jpg

this was one fantastic meal!!!. ..the beef had great flavor .. .the wine sauce was super. . . the dizzy cowlick added all the spices you needed. ...just a great meal ...and it was very very easy!!

Comments