Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork

Tony S.
Tony S. Posts: 114
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
IO did my first Butt the other day. Went for about 10 hours at 250. Came apart really well. Is there a different way to get the meat more flavourful other than just the mustard on the outside. Can it be marinaded? Injected?

Thoughts

It was good, but only the crust had the really good flavour.
Manitoba, Canada Large BGE

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Mustard is not necessary on the outside. I generally use a bland of dizzy dust and swamp venom for a pork rub. It adds a nice heat to the bark.

You can inject the butt for more flavor. There is a nice recipe from Big Bob Gibson's for a pork injection. do an internet search and you should be able to find it.

You can also add a sweeter rub to the pulled pork. all of these will give additional flavors.
  • rosros
    rosros Posts: 408
    I just mix in very lightly my fav bbq sauce into the pulled pork.
  • EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    I give the pork a healthy coating of Bad Byron's Butt Rub and smoke with some hickory chunks added to the lump and that gives it plenty of flavor. You can always serve it with some bbq sauce of your choosing on the side if you like it that way.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • A lot of people frown on putting the butt in a brine ... but we really enjoy the flavor. Many will say it gets salty and is turning the butt into a 'ham.' I brine ours for 10 - 12 hrs ... Any longer and I can see it getting salty ... but the flavor and moisture level is GREAT! Simple brine of salt, water, 1 dark lager beer and a few spices and you'll be in business. I'm not a pro or expert .... and I know it goes against the grain of what some say ... but we experimented and we liked it! Plus, Alton Brown is who made us try it after seeing his show one evening on pork butt in a brine ... and I feel Alton knows his food!
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    I just use a rub, no mustard. Can't imagine not having enough flavor, are you using boneless butts? -RP