Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

wood chips

Options
Large Marge
Large Marge Posts: 404
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Have a look at this one... This is after a 5.5hr rib cook at 225-250. Suggestions? Too much wood here or needs to be tighter around the center, or wood-chunk suggestions (where to place)? Thanks!

IMG_5142.jpg

Comments

• Grand Oeuf Vert
    Grand Oeuf Vert Posts: 1,631
    Options
    How were your ribs? Nice and tasty? Then no issues.
    You have a very full fire box there. Your fire never got to all the chips. For what its worth, I do the spiral thing as directed in the BGE DVD. Sometimes, I don't burn all my chips either.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    The other day I put in three half-fist sized chunks, at the end one of them was only partially charred. Perhaps wait till the fire is established, then easier to identify the 'hot' spots and put/bury the wood there?
    canuckland
  • Buxwheat
    Buxwheat Posts: 727
    Options
    My rib cook yesterday was about the same time/temp. This was the first long cook I have done that smoked (visibly) the entire time. I started my lump in 4 places w/ MAPP torch, then took my ash tool and spread the hot coals all around the firebox til it looked pretty uniformly distributed. Finally I added about 6 or so chunks of hickory about the size of walnuts or slightly bigger to the coals. I took the ash tool and my Wiggle Rod and pushed these chunks down into the coals, trying to cover them up the best I could w/ smoke billowing everywhere. I let all that fuel stabilize at 225-250° for about 30 min before adding ribs. Quick look at the lump this morning showed pretty uniform burn. Ribs turned out well.
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Options
    Hi Ms. Marge. When I use chips, I have the same results. I do, now that I can get them, use fist size chunks and I'm still using the three I started several weeks ago. Of course, I haven't done any over nighters lately but I don't burn them up at once either. I also don't always put them in.
  • Large Marge
    Large Marge Posts: 404
    Options
    Thanks-- great detail and will try this. My problem seems to be the way I start my fires-- I build a center spot with a firestarter stick and over time add more lump, which creates a great center hot spot but that would explain why only the center wood smokes over a long slow cook. Nice advice!!