Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

3 days 4 cooks on my new EGG. The journey to be c

Options
zipur74
zipur74 Posts: 48
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Day 1 – Received brand new in the box large BGE as a gift. My family was aware that I wanted a ceramic cooker for a month. Last week I had announced that I decided to get a Primo basically because I liked the oval design. To my surprise I got a BGE. I quickly put it together (not watching the video) and the discovering the installed the lift sprint upside down. Upon reinstallation using my Makita to speed things along I found that I tightened the lid screws resulting in two of the small custom screws to snap.
Well to late to care now, I assembled the unit and filled the Egg to the line. Fired it up and then went to the fridge for meat. Finding nothing unfrozen I was off to the store. Upon my return I found my Egg at over 700 degrees and all coal bright red!. I slammed on some premade burgers, which resulted in the entire Egg to protest with roaring flames. I closed the lid and closed down all the vents to a sliver. Waited five minutes and flipped the burgers another few minutes and then served them.
The fire was still hot so I added some chicken for my 2nd cook. Light seasoning and they came off great also.
Of course by now the entire family has found alternative to my first cook and the burgers sat there until cold and tasteless.

Day 2 -- I was very excited been browsing the BGE Forum for four hours. At work I was Bragging to my co workers about my gift. The plan for tonight is grilled shrimp. At lunch I went to the BBQ Galore for replacement parts. These had to be reordered. On arrival home I b-lined it to the BGE, refilled coals only to find I had two lumps left.
Fired it up anyway with 100% open vents and then prepared the shrimp. Season, added some teriyaki and put on the grill. Then I made noodles it came out great although I had ran out of fuel. However the family again chose to go out and did not have the appetite to enjoy what I felt was great food.

Day 3 – Up all night reading the forum, till 4am; 10 min. late for work. The plan for tonight is Chicken. Got home and the grandson was over. I was showing him my new toy and he grabs the ceramic top and immediately it crashed to the ground to breaks into six pieces.
No matter I got the BGE warrantee . Then I check the coals, all used, I check my stash, I only have old kingsford bricks. Well it is what it is, I fire the thing up and the chicken comes off great again. I just can’t miss with this thing!

So now I am waiting for my repair parts to come in. I have ordered online everything I could find online. I am looking for table plans with the Idea of merging the BGE with my Weber Silver and WSM as a BBQ work area. I now have three bags of Egg coals and a freezer full of meat to smoke.
Plan – Repar the Egg. Purchase a green cooking apron and hat. Finish the table and then practice.

So when do I become EGG certified?

Comments

• TedInAK
    TedInAK Posts: 11
    Options
    This post makes me cry.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

WOW!!! Not quite sure what to say.

I will start here... "So when do I become EGG certified?"

At least another cook where you don't break bolts, or crack the dome, and have watched the video. In your case maybe you should watch it twice just as a penalty. :) Next, chain the family down - no leaving when you are cooking something on the egg for them.

Briquettes burn at a lower temperature than lump does there will also be a different flavor as well as a lot more ash.

Don't use starter fluid in the egg for briquettes or lump.

It was fun reading the excitement.

If you use the Makita, use the clutch release so you are not breaking bolts. You now know about potential dome crash.

And, you are very you didn't learn first hand about flashback - be careful when taking the egg to high temperatures. The egg can handle it the cook needs to be careful especially if like the hair on your hands, arms, body, head etc.

Take a look here. http://nakedwhiz.com/flash.htm

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    I think you get an A ++ for effort :) like Gramps said you seam to have covered about everything but a good flash back and loosing the gasket. Welcome and glad you are not discouraged. it was just a bunch of bad luck :)Julie