Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef ribs

Options
Smokin' T
Smokin' T Posts: 259
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Searched the forum, did not find the answer to my question.
Can I cook beef ribs the same way as pork ribs and be as successful such as the 3-1-1 method. The seasonings will only be salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder.

Tom
Dunedin, Fl

Comments

• Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    flapoolman did these ones 4-1-1 and they looked great.

Doug
  • Smokin' T
    Options
    Thanks doug.

Tom
    dunedin,Fl
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    It depends on what kind of ribs you are talking about. Beef Short ribs are very different from Beef back Ribs. Short Ribs are chuck and can be quite tough and fatty and require a different cooking technique - more steaming or cooked in a Dutch Oven. I prefer the Beef Back Ribs which are a loin cut and can be very tender. I generally use a 4-1-1 cooking method for the back ribs.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    I cook mine indirect on a raised grid. No foiling, saucing or turning. Just don't over cook then.

Just fantastic.

beefrib3done.jpg

beefrib1.jpg

beefrib2.jpg

GG
  • Smokin' T
    Options
    Barry,
    Thanks for responding. These are Beef Back Ribs. Can you explain the 4-1-1 method. Doesn't the long cooking time dry the meat out? What are the temps you used (dome). I'm sure you went indirect, or am I wrong. At what temp did you pull? :huh: :huh:

Tom
    Dunedin, Fl
  • Smokin' T
    Options
    GG
    Those look great, can you explain your proceedure. Dome temp, pull temp etc.
    Thanks so much.

Tom
    Dunedin, Fl
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I cooked them indirect 225-250 grill temperature (I use a Maverick ET-73 remote thermometer). roughly 4 hours in a rib rack, then 1 hour in foil with chicken broth, then 1 hour with the foil off. I didn't actually measure the temperature, just checked with a fork for tenderness. I've made them several times and have had great success.

Here is a picture of my last ones:
    DSC04385.jpg

I have some in the freezer and it looks like I'm going to be cooking some of them real soon.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Sure enough,

Find the meatiest ribs you can get. I took the membrane off, mustard, seasoning as you like.

Raised grid with a drip pan under the ribs. There is a lot of rendering so be prepared.

Dome 250° and I let them cook. I literally do nothing to the ribs once on the egg. If I recall the cookk took 5 to 6 hours. The reason of the cut on the ribs is I wanted to see if they were done.

Very simple cook and great results.

Kent
  • Smokin' T
    Options
    To all who have responded:
    I'm anxious to see how this cook goes, Will post pics if a senior moment does not arise. Thank you so much. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Tom
    Dunedin,Fl