Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jerky question?

bigmikej
bigmikej Posts: 216
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What type of beef do people use for jerky? London Broil? How thin do you slice it and what is the best temperature to smoke it at? What type of smoking wood? Thanks![p]Mike

Comments

• bigmikej,
    Someone will probably post a good jerky page, but the last time I made jerky, I used a marinade from BBQ's Galore to marinate London Broil that I sliced about 1/4 inch thick. I then smoked it over hickory at 180-190 until it looked like jerky.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • jerky.jpg
    <p />bigmikej,
    I like to use rump roast of brisket flat. I use Gfw's River City marinade but I have modified it to my tastes. Try it once then add or subtract. Jack Daniels chips for smoke flavor 160-190 for about 8-10 hours.[p]CWM

• bigmikej, Lean meat with no fat is best. Slice it 3/16 inch thick. It slices best if refrigerated first til firm, the cold meat temperature makes slicing easier. Slice with grain. Allow meat to dry somewhat a few hours. Marinate to obtain the flavor desired. Dry meat absorbs the flavored marinate. Smoke in egg at 155 degrees for 4 hours.... higher temps need less time...Add tenderquick from morton salt if you do not plan to eat immediately, an excellent perservative , tenderquick.

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    bigmikej,
    Check out the link. Hope it helps.[p]Cheers,
    New Bob

[ul][li]Kevi's Jerky Page[/ul]
  • bigmikej,
    Try bbqmain he has great advice for the BGE, as well as jerky. I did some flank steaks at about 190 for close to 10 hours. I am making some more this weekend with a better bite for a trip to Canada next weekend.

• bigmikej,
    Hey, I just made jerky last weekend for the first time... basically went with the river city marinade (about 18 hours) and proceeded to cook the way car wash mike mentioned.... absolutely great stuff... my wife said that it tastes too much like real steak to be considered jerky..... have fun!!! I thought it was a very easy procedure overall....