Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza

Options
Tony S.
Tony S. Posts: 114
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, I can make pizza. I have the Egg Pizza Stone. I have the platesetter..

Question is ... How do I get the pizza onto the stone. I made it on a flour covered counter. With great difficulty, moved it to a glass cutting board with some flour on it to keep it from sticking. Will heat the stone in the egg and try to move the pizza onto it. Is there an easier way? I am practicing today, as have to make pizza for 10 for tomorrow night for a birthday party.

Please help if you can.
Manitoba, Canada Large BGE

Comments

• Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    You really need a peel. You can make them yourself its not hard. But they are cheap I spend $12 at my italian grocer and it works fine.

Doug
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

I build the pizza on parchment paper, use a peel to load the pizza and parchment paper on the stone then use the peel to remove the pizza.

Corn meal is too messy for my liking. I would think walmart would have some pizza peel's.

GG
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    If you are going to make a lot of Pizzas go for the peal and parchment paper.
  • BConk
    BConk Posts: 72
    Options
    Tony S. wrote:
    Well, I can make pizza. I have the Egg Pizza Stone. I have the platesetter..

Question is ... How do I get the pizza onto the stone. I made it on a flour covered counter. With great difficulty, moved it to a glass cutting board with some flour on it to keep it from sticking. Will heat the stone in the egg and try to move the pizza onto it. Is there an easier way? I am practicing today, as have to make pizza for 10 for tomorrow night for a birthday party.

Please help if you can.

I make the crust on the backs of my well-floured knuckles in the air, then lay it onto a wooden peel dusted with semolina when it feels like it will tear if I try to get it any thinner in the air. I top the pie on the peel, giving the peel a quick shake in between each topping to make sure the dough isn't sticking. Then when it's cook time I peel the pie onto the hot stone.

I bought a thin aluminum peel to try making the pie on the counter and then slide the peel under it - but that failed catastrophically on my first attempt and I'm reluctant to try again.

I now use the wooden peel to put the pizza on and the aluminum peel to turn the pie and to take it off.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Spinning pizza from beginning to end is fun but the law of physics takes over real quick. Thin center and thicker outer edge from the centrifugal force.

A few spins to get a roundness works but the roller is the way to go for uniformity.

Try using more flour on your counter and or build the pie on parchment paper.

GG
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    I agree with most of the guys using parchment paper.Build your pie on that and then slide it onto the pizza stone.One factor that they left out is to pull the parchment paper out from under the pie after two minutes of cooking and let the stone do its thing.
  • Tony S.
    Tony S. Posts: 114
    Options
    Thanks everyone
    Manitoba, Canada Large BGE
  • FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Options
    I love my SUPER PEEL! Transfers the pie from cutting board right to hot pizza stone in the egg. Then use regular peel from egg to kitchen for slicing.

This is the link
    http://www.superpeel.com/videos.html