Well I was off today, and the rest of the week, and I decided to get the egg ready for the big cooks for the remainder of this week. I had my phone with me and decided to document how I replaced the gasket with the new Nomex that the mothership sent to me.
This is a medium egg that was purchased in March. The first gasket fell off and my dealer gave me a replacement gasket. The glue on this one did hold, but shame on me for not checking the alignment and the gasket fried after a few cooks.
After reading many different posts on replacing a gasket here are the steps that I took. Hope it helps any other newbies that might be doing this sometime soon.
1st Step was to install some cable ties around each side of the hinge bracket. This is a must. I had some smaller ties so I used 3 per side. Might have been overkill but I did not want to take any chances here.
2nd Step was to loosen the band bolts. Got these loose and removed the top from the egg. Then I removed the entire hinge bracket assembly with the bands. Then I was able to remove the lower portion of the egg.
The only reason I removed both pieces was due to the temperature today and a small chance of thunderstorms. I did not want to be working with the glue in direct sun or a pouring down rain. So I took everything to the shop to finish this project,
3rd Step was to get all my tools required. A Couple of different scrapers, Acetone and the 3M Super 77 Adhesive. Not shown was a utlity knife blade that came in very handy. Both the Acetone and 3M was purchased at Lowe's.
4th Step was to start scraping the old gasket and adhesive off the flats. All I can say here is be patient. When you think you are done, scrap some more. I spent about an hour scraping the top and bottom clean. Towards the end I used the utlity knife to get the remaining solids off the edge.
5th, when you finishing scraping you should be able to run your hand around the rim and not feel any rough spots. Once you are here you are ready to apply the Acetone to remove any old glue or residue. This part was a little messy. It was hot enough today that it evaporated pretty quickly so I was dousing the rag pretty good taking care not to get any acetone in the inside of the egg.
When this was completed I had the rims looking like this, took about 30 minutes here.
6th Step, Prepping for the Nomex. All I can say is thanks for the tips about spraying into a cup and brushing it on. This worked out great. Be prepared to throw the brush away after this step, you will not get the brush cleaned. Also in this heat the 2 minutes to get tacky was not accurate. The glue was getting tacky pretty quickly and you don't want to work to far ahead here in this step.
7th Step, Some say to preheat the gasket although the BGE instructions did not mention to do this. I found a middle ground here. Earlier in the day I unrolled my gasket and laid it out in the full sun to heat up to 90 degrees. It got the material very limp and made it very easy to work with. Before adding the glue I laid out the gasket on the rim to ensure I had enough for the top and bottom and sure enough there was plenty. So I cut the gasket material in half to make it easier to apply onto the rims. I picked a starting point on the sides and worked the gasket around the rim. I did the top on one side and the bottom on the opposite side. I did not want it in the back with the hot spot opposite of the draft door and I did not want it in front where I would be working the food. As far as the application, I found that setting it down just off the inner edge and using my finger to push it right to the inner edge worked really well and it kept the gasket fairly level all the way around. After I was done I took a small roller and rolled down the gasket to get any remaining raised parts pushed down. Here is the top and bottom with the Nomex. This step was much easier than what I was planning on.
Here is the amount of gasket that I had left over. Again I was installing onto a medium 15" diameter, but had a total of ~28" left over.
8th Step should be consider optional. I don't remember reading this anywhere, but the Nomex material is wider than the rims. So after the glue had some time to cure I laid down some boards and set the top and bottom down on the boards. I took a good SHARP blade and just went around the diameter cutting the nomex so that it was even and nothing prutuding out. Now the gasket material is a little tricky to cut. You must have a sharp blade and make several passes. My first pass would just score the surface. The second pass a little more and the third pass going all the way thru. It takes a little feel for this portion. Start on the back side of the egg and work it around and all will be well. I had a few places where I have some "hairy" pieces sticking out. I just took a lighter and lightly ran over these to singe the hairs so that it looked like it was made for the egg.
9th, Final Step, put it all back together. Remembering to do the alignment/dollar bill test to ensure a nice tight joint around the rims.
All in all a good day and I would guess around 4 hours from start to finish. I am very glad I did not rush this job and feel great about the results. But I guess the real results will be tomorrow when I fire it back up and give it a test run before a good low and slow cook Friday night. I hope this helps anyone looking for some pointers and thanks to all those that made posts and comments that I used to pull this off. Any questions or comments let me know. Have a Great Holiday.