Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Very smoked chicken, but still moist and tender

Options
Prof Dan
Prof Dan Posts: 339
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been tweaking my chicken recipe for two years, and my family has told me to stop, that this is IT, don't change a thing, stop tweaking. Nothing revolutionary here, just a long series of tweaks that gives us great chicken every time, and it's easy, too.[p]I start with whole fresh chickens and cut them in half. I cut out the backbones, too. I use the handle of a wooden spoon to poke around under the skin and loosen it without tearing it; then I spoon in some marinade and spread it around with the spoon handle. [The marinade can be anything -- I use a mix of teriyaki sauce, barbecue sauce, fresh garlic, chili powder, and chopped green onion. It doesn't matter.] I smear some sauce on the outside of the chickens and let them sit in a plastic bag in the refrigerator for a couple of hours.[p]I load up the Egg with fresh lump and fire it up about 90 minutes before dinnertime. Ten minutes later, I dump in a couple of handfuls of wood chunks. Oak, hickory, whatever. Five minutes later, I put the chicken on a raised grid, skin side up. [The raised grid is critical -- otherwise, it'll burn.] I close the Egg, and shut the vents down pretty much all the way so that the chicken soaks in the smoke at a low temp for about 15 minutes. The temp during this time is just over 200 or so.[p]About an hour before dinner, open the vents enough to bring the Egg up to just over 300. Let it stay there for a half hour. Then flip the chicken, skin side down, and keep going at the same temp for another half hour. It sounds like a long time, but the chicken just gets more and more tender.[p]At the very end, open the vents all the way and crisp the chicken, if you want. You can also smear on a little more sauce at that time. Watch it carefully, checking every minute or so, and don't let it catch fire. That's it.[p]Has anyone tried smoking chicken for a much longer time at low temps, and then crisping it up at the last minute?