Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

GURU.... First Butt GREAT!

MR HMR H Posts: 109
edited 2:18PM in EggHead Forum
The 6lb boneless butt was brined in .5 cup kosher salt-.5 cup brown sugar.tbl spoon pepper-dash cummin-3 tbls lite soy. Soaked 20 hrs with garlic cloves inserted deeeeep. I dried meat,a light fat cap was left on,covered butt with mustard and heavy bl pepper.[p]The fire was Wicked Lump and started with Maple leaf.After charcoal had a good lite I added apple chunks..Good smell. Then the plate setter was put in with a drip pan,grill and meat with meat probe in thickest partwas last thing to do. Closeed lid and watched BBQGURU do its thing.11 hrs later, best tender tasting moist meat ever

• MR H,
    Coincidence - I too am doing amy first butt with the Guru. My setup is: small pizza stone sitting on grate, aluminum foil on stone, 13" X 9" drip pan on foil, small rack across pan and butt on rack. Apple chunks are being used for smoke.[p]An 8.3lb butt, rubbed with seasonings and mustard, went on the Egg at 11:00 last night. The pit temperature probe is clipped to the back of the meat probe and I set the pit temperature (at the meat level, obviously) to 225°. I notice that the dome temperature is generally about 25° higher than the temperature at the meat. This differential seems to be higher until the egg has stabilized and fully warmed through. The guru has been doing its thing all night and the temperature is rock steady. I notice how the fan pulses less and less frequently as the pit set point temperature approaches its target: clever stuff, I guess this prevents overshoot.