Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Last Night

Options
Iowa State Egger
Iowa State Egger Posts: 337
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I smoked a five pound flat last night. This is about my seventh or eighth brisket, and each time I have done them a little different. I have seasoned the night before, and I have seasoned right before the cook. I have wrapped in foil as well as layered bacon on top.

This one I did simple. I rubbed with some Garlic Salt, DP Raising the Steaks and EVOO about an hour before putting on the cooker. I set the Diggi at dome of 225, used some hickory chucks and put the meat on at 10:00 am. It was in the 160 degree plateau from noon until about 5. Once it was coming out of the plateau I bumped the dome up to 250. The brisket hit 195 degrees at about 7:30. In the cooler it went for about an hour and a half. I was impressed that I didn't open the Egg at all over the time - it was driving me somewhat crazy.

The meat was moist, flavored well and smokey:

Brisket.jpg

Comments

• TurtleCreek
    TurtleCreek Posts: 140
    Options
    Looks very good. I have a 6lb'er on right now seasoned with DP Cow Lick last night. I forgot to add wood chips throughout the lump so I used a foil pouch and threw it under the platesetter .... we'll see how that works.

Did you use any wood chips/chunks, if so how/where did you place them? Thanks
  • Iowa State Egger
    Options
    I mixed about four hickory wood chips in the bottom of the lump, then right before I put the meat on I put three more chucks on the top. I also had some hickory chips that I scattered on top as well.

I just fired the egg up to do some chicken and I am still getting a lot of hickory smoke from left over cook.

Double Bonus!
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Looks great, was there much fat on it when you bought it??? Most flats that I see are very lean, almost no fat at all.

Thanks,
    Bordello
  • Pepper Monkey BBQ
    Options
    Looks great Dave! I haven't done brisket for a while, but you have impulsed me to put it on the list for the next BBQ! Well done!

Joel
    (Native Clear Lake Iowan now in MD)
  • Iowa State Egger
    Options
    I agree with you on the fat - was NOT a good piece of meat compared to other flats. I tried to trim it before cooking but it was tough to do so I said screw it. Perhaps it made in more moist?
  • Iowa State Egger
    Options
    Joel -

One of my office's is in Mason City - so I am somewhat familar with your old stompin' grounds.