Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

After 4 years you'd think I would know

Options
Sundown
Sundown Posts: 2,980
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've never gotten it! When I've used a creamic mass(today an inverted plate setter) It seems I can never get the dome temp up to my target temp of 250º
I put on 2 fresh pork shoulders at 1PM today for lunch tomorrow. Dome temp rock steady on 200º ain't budged a damn inch for several hours. At this time (6PM) the internal temp of the shoulders is 125º I know that the two beauties will ride through the night without a hitch and the internal temp will stall at about 160º for several hours.
Can any one explain in words of one syllable why I can't get the dome temp of 250º I want? The one thing I do understand is to always trust Mr. Egg. He's my friend. ;>)

Comments

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Sundown,[p]Are your vents totally open and you can't get it higher than 200°? If you've been doing this 4 years, I'm sure you've already checked, but is the firebox opening lined up with the vent? No ash clogging the holes...[p]Do you ever do pizza?[p]QBabe
    :~)

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    bbuttsonegg.jpg
    <p />Sundown,
    I kinda work backwards. I fill the lump up and get it going about 300. Add soaked wood chunks, which lowers the temp. At 250, I close both vents to about 1/4 inch, then monitor.
    I never had problem with pulled pork with boston butts. Brisket, send me to the local BBQ joint unless I do the 5 hour thing.
    Good Luck,[p]CWM[p]

• Sundown,
    If you get your egg to your target temp before you put the plate setter in, and then put it in followed by the meat, you should still be cooking at your target temp even though the thermometer reads otherwise. It is getting a false reading due to the plate setter restricting air flow and the cold meat. This according to a bge dealer/distributor. Also like Qbabe said, make sure you have good airflow. I have no trouble with mine.

• Sundown
    Options
    QBabe,[p]We did a few pizzas but we have such great pizza joints in nearby Providence that it's more fun to go to them. every thing from a wood grilled t-h-i-n crust to Chicago-style deep dish and everything in between. All is lined up and clean.
    Still humming along and the meat temp is coming up slowly. I just have to have something to worry about I guess.

• Sundown
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    Now that makes sense. Do you suppose that might have occoured to me? Getting slow in my golden years!