Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Fat Cap - Up or Down?

Options
Iowa State Egger
Iowa State Egger Posts: 337
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am having a senior moment - which happens a lot since I turned 30. I am about to put on a 5 lb brisket flat, but I don't remember of the Fat side goes up or down - I think down????

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Iowa State Egger
    Options
    I found the answer on the Naked Whiz's site - Down it is.
  • Ex-Gasman
    Ex-Gasman Posts: 287
    Options
    OOPS !!! I just cooked mine 13 hrs up. Oh well it looks good. Try to post pics later, just wrapped it and going to Pigeon Forge Tenn.
  • Sir Fartsalot
    Options
    Just recieved a small egg from a relative who won it in some internet contest but they have no use. Lucky me. However, i saw a you tube clip of a guy cooking a brisket and it took about 11-13 hours. How many times do you reload the firepit for something like that? (i.e., how long do the coals last for a long slow 200 degree grilling?)
  • Iowa State Egger
    Options
    I have a large and a small. From my understanding, with a Large you should be able to go 20 hours plus witha 200 degree cook. I have done a 12 hour cook with my small with lump to spare at the end at 200 degrees. I think you will have no problem with brisket, pork loin etc. Butt might be a different story, even though I have read posts of successful butt cooks on the small.
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    No need to re-load the firebox my friend. The egg will go many hours if you load it right. Make sure to fill it all the way up about half way up the fire ring ( the ring setting atop the firebox) and your good to go at 250 degrees for 20+ hours. I have done a 22 hour cook one time but most of mine fall in the 12 to 16 hour range. Hard to find something that needs more time, unless your trying to do back to back cooks. Also on low and slows you will need a barrier between the food and coals (indirect).BGE makes whats called a plate setter and its very nice for this. Good luck and happy egging!