Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey help please

Options
Bordello
Bordello Posts: 5,926
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi,
I have a 14# turkey that has up 18% injected juices (containing salt) I would like to brine it but realize is not a good thing because of the injected juices.[p]I love the brine I use for Brant's Brined Beer-Butt Bird:
Brine
• 2 quarts water
• 1/2 cup salt
• 1/2 cup honey
• 1/4 cup of red wine vinegar
• 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
• 3 or so whole bay leaves [p]Can I either brine it for a short time (4 hours?) or maybe omit the salt (not a brine now) and just soak it in the remaining mixture?????[p][p]Thanks,[p]New Bob[p]

Comments

• New Bob,[p]Why not inject?
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Hi Scottie,
    Are you suggesting I inject the mixture minus the salt??? It already has up to 18% added juices. I find that all the frozen one seem to be injected and I could not find a fresh one.[p]Thanks,
    New Bob

• New Bob,[p]Inject a creole butter injection...

• Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Options
    New Bob,
    18 % added but its not 18% salt added, so I would brine as usual but put about 1/2 of your salt recipe calls for, I would guess the solution is close to 2 or 3% salt.
    Good Luck

• Huck
    Huck Posts: 110
    Options
    New Bob,
    I've just thawed them in the brine, regardless of injection. Injection procedures are hit and miss. Soaking in the brine is universal. Just rinse the bird off completely. Pack it full of chopped apples or pears. You'll love it. I prefer to do my birds at 250 degree dome temp and when it hits 160 degrees breast temp, it's done. Why so low? Because of the lower cook temp, you're pretty much assured that every single ounce of the bird is 160 degrees. Breast down over a heat deflector to ensure uniform browning to the olive oil that I put on the dried skin. Boost the dome temp to 400 degrees for fifteen minutes if you like crisp skin. I throw the skin out (yes, I'm too fat and old). Been doing it this way for years, nobody ever got the scoots. [p]Your bird will taste a bit saltier but it will be jucier than you can believe. It's a perfect time to try out a few to perfect your technique for the holidays!