Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egg: Accessory Questions

Options
Mary Queen of Kitchen Gadgets
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We just bought a medium egg yesterday (anniversary gift) and I cooked my first meal (pork ribs) already. They were the best we have ever cooked at home.

I am trying to figure out what accessories are must haves and the best sources for them. I wanted to buy a plate setter yesterday but they didn't have one in stock for the medium. (its on order) I am cooking brisket today so I need to know the best way to accomplish indirect method without the plate setter.

I also have no grill extenders. I had a vertical rib rack that I used yesterday so I was able to cook 2 full slabs on a medium without a problem. But I know I will want more horizontal cooking space for other stuff. They had a BGE grill extender at the store but it was a little wierd - the legs seemed to collapse easily and the whole thing would slide over. What's up with that? Were we putting it on wrong?

I found the ceramic grill store website. They seem to have some interesting grid configurations and something called a spider. There is so much that it is kind of confusing to me being a newbie and all. Should I look at their extenders rather than the standard BGE brand? If so, what should I consider?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    first eggcessory is a thermopen!!!!!!!!!!
    i wish i had purchased the spider and adjustable rig rather than the plate setter,, imho it is much more versitle and makes better use of the avalable space
  • rosros
    rosros Posts: 408
    Options
    The BGE grill extender feet clip onto the lower grill which locks them in place. They fold for storability.
  • danny285
    danny285 Posts: 360
    Options
    the platesetter is the #1 must have acc. look on ebay if you cant find one localy. good luck and welcome
  • CaptainJimmy
    CaptainJimmy Posts: 158
    Options
    plate setter and pizza stone are a must! pizzas are rediculously good on the egg.

i'd say a thermopen (i dont have one yet) is pretty important. I did the Tel Tru thermometer upgrade as well (well to be honest i bent the BGE therm).

I still need and ET-73 and a thermopen...then i'm done buying stuff for the egg. sort of.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Mary Queen of Kitchen Gadgets,

If you can find some thin firebricks at a fireplace store or brickyard you can use them for a heat barrier and also as a base for an extended grill. You should be able to get a grill from a bbq place.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I agree - when spread tightly they lock in place and the sides hinge up if needed. I much prefer this for storage reasons over clunky two tiered bolted grates.
    IMG_1451.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    Here's my 2 cents as a MBGE owner: get the woo2 it will give you about as much flexibiltiy as you can get on a MBGE. Get another grid (CI?) and you'll be able to cook direct at two levels or just at the felt line which I like or at fire ring. Email Tom with any questions he even answers my dumb ones :laugh:
  • BigGreenDawg
    BigGreenDawg Posts: 327
    Options
    . Thermopen 2. Platesetter 3. Whatever configuration you wish to try first for doing different cooks at different levels (I am still using some small paver stones from lowes for doing a raised cook-at the felt line but plan on getting an adjustable rig (from the Ceramic Grill Store) for Christmas if not sooner. After that I am planning on getting a Guru but not until I try a butt or two without it.
  • Thanks for the picture. We must not have been spreading the feet out far enough when we were at the store. I pick up my plate setter tomorrow so I will probably just go ahead and buy the BGE grill extender.
  • What's a guru?
    I am planning to call the Ceramic Grill Store guys. There are few accessories for the medium but I am curious about the woo2. Its between that and the BGE grill extender. Eventually I will get a thermapen. I have a remote maverick already and that is a great tool but the thermapen would be good to have for things where you really need an instant read.