Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Pork Butt - Progress Report #3

Options
OttawaEgg
OttawaEgg Posts: 283
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Greetings porks fans!

Well, its about 13 hours since her sow-ness hit the egg.

Looks like its still in plateau mode. It was up to 188 for a bit, then dropped to 185, now back to 186. :side:

Dome temp holding steady at about 225-240. B)

Weather here is a bit goofy - hot, humid and sunny with intermittent downpours.

In other news, my neighbour popped over (he probably heard me opening the bottle of crown royal).. and says "what IS that smell?" So I gave him the run down of what I was up to - even had a very quick (less than 5 seconds) peek (during which I noticed my lump was doing just fine thankyouverymuch).

By the way, and I don't know if anyone else has done this - for the drip pan, I put a bottle of dry white wine instead of water. Call it my little "touch" to the recipe. Sure smells good!

Almost time to start makin tater salad, some guacamole, artichoke dip and coleslaw.

Oh, and more crown royal of course ! :woohoo:

Comments

• Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    :laugh: looks like the pig stars are aligned for a great Father's Day in Ottaway! B)
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    One of the surprising things about the plateau is how heat is sucked up by the disintegrating connective tissue. I've seen an 8 degree drop that made me think the fire was going out.

This late into the cook, if it stalls out so you can't give it a cooler rest before you need it, taking the temp up works well.
  • Bob V
    Bob V Posts: 195
    Options
    Agree with gdenby - once you hit 190 or so nothing is hurt by opening it up some. It has all the smoke it is ever going to absorb and it has already developed its bark. If you are still planning to eat at 6, open that sucker up to 350 and finish it off.

OTOH - when the plateau finishes the temp starts to climb rapidly. You may be very close to the end yet and not know it.

Since you're eating at 6 I'd open it up.

Bob V