Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large BGE Renovations

Options
Eggscriber
Eggscriber Posts: 276
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Happy Father's Day. :cheer:
A few weeks ago, I asked the forum about alternatives to nomex or felt gaskets. You were kind enough to lend a few words of support and I tried Permatex Ultra Copper gasket maker that I picked up at my local automotive supply store. I stripped off my peeling felt gaskets and prepared the surface with a scraper and wire brush. I removed any loose matter with package sealing tape and applied the gasket sealer as outlined previously. Voila, new gasket! Here are some photos. In addition, you'll see two photos of my refinished eggmates. Dale, AKA Woodbutcher, took my cruddy eggmates home and refinished them with some exterior grade urethane stain. One is a Red Oak stain, and the other, in a natural finish. :)
Have a look!

104.jpg

105.jpg

106.jpg

Comments

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Interesting gasket idea. Keep us posted on how it holds up. Nice work on the wood refinishing.
    Have a great day!
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    Options
    i'm the original gut with the rubber gasket...mine's been on for 7 years... and it's still working very well...
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options
    Hi Steve,

The egg looks great. I will be very interested to hear how the Permatex holds up. I used the same on my nomex gasket a couple months ago and it is holding up just fine.

Gator
  • Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    Options
    They were a little cruddy

Before
    IMG_0061a.jpg

After
    IMG_0075-1.jpg

The sealant really makes a nice bond. I hope it holds up for you.
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    Dale, the project has commenced in earnest, gitcher pickup ready
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Hummmmm, that's good news. Been thinkin of an alternative gasket although my felt is doin fine for now. Is yours attached only to the bottom base or do you have the silicone on the dome as well? What would your recommend?
  • Woodbutcher
    Options
    Okay mang, I'm on it.
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    Outside chance it will be ready for release next weekend, but perhaps not till the following weekend, depends on how long it will take the quary to chisel me out a custom sized slab for the top work surface...
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Woodbutcher
    Options
    I'll be in NY city next weekend but thats all I have going
  • BeerMike
    BeerMike Posts: 317
    Options
    The read that the temp range for the Permatex Ultra Copper gasket maker is -75° to 700° F. Do you have any issue with the gasket with the Egg over 700°?

Cheers,

BeerMike
    I think it's time for another beer!
    BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
    Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
    Living the dream in Wisconsin
  • ranger ray
    Options
    it's only attached to the bottom... i used the red silicone cause that what;s i had in the tool box at the time...after you apply the bead of silicone... cover it with some plastic wrap that has been sprayed with pam or some kinda non stick substance so the ya don't glue it shut... lol... let it sit overnight and then pull off the plastic.... you then have a perfectly formed seal.... similar to a dental impression...i'd use the higher temp "gold" stuff when i replace it(not necessary yet)...i'd put a couple of pieces of thick wire at about four locations around the base at a 90 degree angle...to the rim .. this way when the lid closes... it keeps the lid from squeezing out all of the silicone...i'd pull out the the pieces of wire the next day... and refill the little holes that were left in their place...(coat the wires so they don't stick) .... rr
  • ranger ray
    Options
    no, i've never had any problems... and i've had my temperature off the scale on the dome thermometer.
  • Eggscriber
    Eggscriber Posts: 276
    Options
    Ranger Ray: you're the one who told me about the permatex gasket material. As you said, it works great! B) My egg seals tight and sounds like a bank vault when I close it. It is a bit tricky getting it on neatly, and I used a 1/4 inch nail to hold a gap in between the top and bottom. Instead of burying the nail in a bead of sealer, I just made a gap in the front at 6 o'clock and filled it later. I do wish that I could have made the gasket look more even though. I can always trim it. It seems very heat resistant, and most of it is shielded from the interior heat anyway. Worse case scenario, if it fails, I'll try the more common nomex gasket! I guess I should quit talking about my gaskets. It seems as if everyone is going gasket crazy around here! :blink: