Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chuck Lane's Chili Dog Sauce-help

nikkig
nikkig Posts: 514
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am in the process of making a double batch of hot dog sauce. What do you do with all the grease? Should I skim it off, or should I just leave it there?[p]~nikki

Comments

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    It stays there, Nikki. At least, that is my understanding. I left it in and everyone seemed to like it.[p]Jim
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    nikkig:[p]It is important to use the beef grind with the correct fat to lean ratio as the recipe calls for. The fat is present and mixes well with the chili but is not excesive. That recipe is frequently requested when fast meals (hot dogs) are called for.
    [/b]
  • nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    djm5x9,
    I did use ground chuck like the recipe states. It had a layer of grease about 1/4 inch thick on top. I ended up skimming most of it off, which added up to 1/2 cup. I just couldn't bring myself to keep mixing it in and having it come back to the top.[p]~nikki

• nikkig,
    I know it looks like a lot of grease, but after the chili cools down it will stay mixed a lot better. There's a lot of flavor in that grease, I tried taking it out once a long time ago and regretted it. If your heart can stand it, leave it in there! :-)[p]Regards,
    Chuck Lane