Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Struggling with Temperature Control

Options
dlstern
dlstern Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm trying to smoke brisket, but continue to battle the temperature. I can't seem to keep the temperature at 250 or below, and it creeps to 280. I'm using the smoker plate insert. My friend suggested that BGE charcoal burns too hot, and to use another brand, but the BGE dealer claims to me that if i bought the smoke plate, it should keep 25 degrees out of the temperature. Can anyone give me guidance on starting fire, keeping constant at 215. Seems that this is a mythical smoking temperature that I can never reach. Am i using too much charcoal? Am I supposed to get it to 400 then bring it down, am i supposed to wait 10 minutes after lighting, then close all vents but the bottom vent 1/8th inch. Please help.

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Read this. It will answer your questions in depth.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/tempcontrol.htm

You never want to overshoot your temp. Just light it, set your vents for 250* and let it stabilize. Once stable, add the meat, then leave it alone.

215 is too low a temp to maintain, and at a dome temp of 215 your grid temp is about 185-190. Tough to cook meat to 190 when the temp around it is 190 - will take a long, long time.

The info about BGE charcoal burning too hot is just plain wrong. You need to control how much air is getting to the fire to keep the temps down.
  • EmandM'sDad
    EmandM'sDad Posts: 648
    Options
    Don't try to go to 400 and bring it back down. It takes to long. once the ceramic heats up, it holds the heat for a while.'
    Start by lighting the fire in 3 places. I do 12 oclock 4 and 8 with the lower vent open and the daisy wheel wide open.put the platesetter in. As soon as you see the temp begin to go up close your vents halfway. I close the vents halfway each time the temp increases 25 degrees. Final vent position for my large for 225 is about 1/8" on the bottom vent with the daisy petals half way open. let the temp stabilize with adjustment for 15-20 minutes and you should be goodto go. Good luck. The learning curve is steep in the beginning. Don't be afraid to ask questions here. We all started out once.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    First, did you calibrate your thermometer? Next, 250, 280.. you are fine. Food gets done quicker and you are eating!