Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Rub it, soak it, or both?

Nu-GuyNu-Guy Posts: 136
edited 3:52AM in EggHead Forum
Just wondered, as a general rule, if a person uses marinade do you not use a rub? Or if you use a rub, do you not use a marinade? Hope the question makes sense.

Comments

• GfwGfw Posts: 1,598
    Nu-Guy, as a general rule, I never make a general rule... [p]With that said, I have been known to do both, especially with various cuts of beef. I nonly marinate sometimes, but I use mustard almost all of the time.

[ul][li]With Marinate[/ul]
  • Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,354
    Nu-Guy,
    Like Gfw, I don't use a general rule. It depends on the marinade, and the cut of meat. Many of the marinades in my recipes have a ton of ingredients, so a rub is not necessary (except maybe some fresh cracked pepper). But with a simple marinade, a rub is a good accompaniment.[p]The rubs mainly flavor the crust of the meat. As long as the flavors in the rub don't clash with the spices in the marinade, do both.[p]FWIW
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
  • Nu-GuyNu-Guy Posts: 136
    Nature Boy,
    KOOL! I like it. Take a bath and rub it down.
    Appreciate the info.

• Nu-GuyNu-Guy Posts: 136
    Gfw,
    Ymmmmmmm, a picture seems to say volumes. Thanks for the response.