Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Instant read digital thermometer

Options
Geoduck
Geoduck Posts: 76
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I see numerous posts re: Thermapen but nothing re: BGE's instant read thermometer. How come? Has anyone tried it? Price fits my pocketbook better.

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Some people have the BGE thermometer. Check the specifications and reputation of both before you "save some money"

If you want to save money then go to a digital probe thermometer for about $15 at Walmart.

The Thermapen was has done the most to improve the flavor and texture of the food I cook, on or off egg.

I would only get the Thermapen. Others may have a different opinion.

GG
  • Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    Many owners of the BGE instant read have said it is not a true instant read. This is one of those things that if you go with the cheaper one you will eventually go back and get the one you really wanted the first time. If you have to wait a while to get the Thermapen it would be worth the wait.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    The BGE thermometer is one of the few things I do not like about BGE. It is a Thermapen knockoff, right down to looks, but it is not instant read.

I am not sure that there is any kind of definition for "instant read" but it is most definitely slower than the 4 seconds for Thermapen and even faster for the new model.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    The difference is about 8 seconds. When your hand is over a 700 degree grate that 8 seconds times the number of items your checking is not worth the savings.

Save your money and get the thermopen.