Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Spatchcock Chick ala TNW

GrillMeisterGrillMeister Posts: 1,611
edited 10:02AM in EggHead Forum
Spatchcock_Chicken.jpg
<p />My first chicken on the egg was smoked on a vertical roaster and the kids & wife did not have much to say. It must have been a combination of the wood chips and my spicing. In any event I followed The Naked Whiz's wonderful illustrated recipe for Spatchock, but this time I asked my wife to spice the birds (she makes a killer claypot chicken). It was fun trying to squeeze both of them on the grill, but I managed. The birds turned out juicy on the inside and crispy on the outside and they soon vanished from sight. This will be a quick favorite in our house.[p]Thanks for all the great tips, experience, insight and support for a newbie egghead.

Comments

• GrillMeister,
    looks great. .. .now give it up. . .what did the finer half do to them to make them so tasty????[p]

• GrillMeisterGrillMeister Posts: 1,611
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]My finer half uses her own special rub for chicken.[p]Salt
    Black Pepper
    McCormicks Garlic Powder with Parsley
    Knorr's Chicken Bouillon (granulated, not the cubes)[p]She does not really measure anything, just shakes some out and rubs it under and on the skin. Give it a try and let me know what you think.

• TRexTRex Posts: 2,714
    GrillMeister,[p]What dome temp did you cook these at? I'm still trying to determine the ideal temp to get crispy skin while maintaining the juicy center in the 1 hr timeframe.[p]Thanks,[p]TRex
  • GrillMeister,
    as usual, sometimes the simple things are the best. .i'll have try this one. .[p]thanks[p]max

• GrillMeisterGrillMeister Posts: 1,611
    TRex,[p]My dome temp was between 350 and 360. I did not put any wood chips or chunks to smoke it. Just pure Ozark Lump.[p]I did have a cold hefe weizen in my hand at most times though. It came in really handy after those ABTs